Author Topic: Post Your Desktop!  (Read 157427 times)

there's no clear policy about what software can be included
Here's everything that Arch can come with. All of this is optional, also. I'm not going to go through every one to see which ones are proprietary or not but out of the 10 I picked, all of them were open source.

and nonfree blobs are shipped with their Linux kernel.
Recompile the kernel then.

Arch also has no policy about not distributing nonfree software through their normal channels."
True, but since everything in the repos are 100% optional this is irrelevant.

Just by recompiling the kernel alone won't give you full freedom, you have to remove the binary blobs hidden away in the kernel first. Even then, you'll have issues if your PC relies on those binary blobs (most PC's do). This is what makes Trisquel so unique, because it can live without the need of any binary blobs by having a different type of kernel, the Linux-libre kernel.

By Arch including a kernel that has the Linux kernel (binary blobs and all), it's identified as a "free system that requires non-free components to operate". If you were to compile Arch the same way that Trisquel is made (taking Ubuntu, completely removing every non-free component including non-free branding such as the Firefox brand and Ubuntu brand, in your case removing the Arch branding since a quick Google search proved it to be proprietary too), replacing the non-free missing parts with FOSS software, you would have a fully free GNU/Linux distribution that is able to compete with Trisquel.

The repos also make Arch inferior because of the fact that they're giving you the option of using non-free software by allowing you to access those repositories. The FSF doesn't approve of this.

tl;dr: If you want to be able to try to make Arch compete with Trisquel, you need to get rid of all the proprietary things (even the little things) first.

With all that said, I rest my case.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:38:55 AM by Miga »

Just by recompiling the kernel alone won't give you full freedom, you have to remove the binary blobs hidden away in the kernel first. Even then, you'll have issues if your PC relies on those binary blobs (most PC's do). This is what makes Trisquel so unique, because it can live without the need of any binary blobs by having a different type of kernel, the Linux-libre kernel.

Just one question - how come Trisquel is able to operate without these blobs on PCs that require these binary blobs? If it's because they're using their own drivers, why don't all distros implement them if they're supposedly open-sourced?

Just one question - how come Trisquel is able to operate without these blobs on PCs that require these binary blobs? If it's because they're using their own drivers, why don't all distros implement them if they're supposedly open-sourced?

Well, these blobs mostly pertain to graphics (GPU firmware), so for PC's that require a blob to operate (nVidia and ATi), if they don't get the proper driver, it falls back to an open source "standard VGA" driver. If you're on Intel graphics (which my PC has besides an nVidia GPU), 3D works because Intel made their entire driver open source.

If a sound chip requires a binary blob, it just won't operate. Same goes with things like wi-fi and bluetooth adapters.

That's the main reason why most GNU/Linux distributions include these proprietary blobs, is because it allows their distribution to be fully used on a much wider range of PC's, whereas with Trisquel, you're sort of limited, and if you end up with a PC that has a component that requires non-free firmware, it won't function to it's full potential. In this case, you can say that Arch would be superior in the fact that it can run on more PC's efficiently due to the help of proprietary blobs, however, Trisquel is superior in freedom, and is therefore superior in the fact that you can modify every aspect of the system, drivers and all.

Also, just a reassurance: I'm not saying that GNU/Linux distributions that contain proprietary things are bad, since they're still a lot better than using Windows (and often more fun too). I still like hearing about people using Linux more often, even if it's Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Linux Mint, anything like that. I'm still looking forward to the day when Linux will be as strong as Windows, but until then, I'm sort of stuck using Windows primarily.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:13:05 AM by Miga »

Here's everything that Arch can come with. All of this is optional, also. I'm not going to go through every one to see which ones are proprietary or not but out of the 10 I picked, all of them were open source.
True, but since everything in the repos are 100% optional this is irrelevant.
https://parabolagnulinux.org/
you can migrate your arch linux to this one
100% free softwhere

I forgot if i already posted it...

Everyone knows AT&T System III was the best Unix ever. It all went to hell with all this Linux bullstuff, no wonder everyone uses Windows and Macs now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:56:15 AM by Wedge »

Everyone knows AT&T System III Unix was the best Unix ever. It all went to hell with all this Linux bullstuff, no wonder everyone uses Windows and Macs now.
Unix loving sucks!  You're just one of those System III cigarettes, even loving System 6 Unix was way better!  AT&T really forgeted it up.  OS/2 will always be better anyway!

this is my new computer