Author Topic: Windows Update is not friends with Windows 7  (Read 676 times)

Earlier this month Windows Update automatically updated (Even though I have automatic updates off...) and it completely destroyed my installation of Windows 7. Classpnp.sys and disk.sys were forgeted beyond repair, I couldn't boot into safe mode and System Restore had been destroyed. Since the computer came pre-installed with 7 I don't have a disk so I had to reformat and install Ubuntu (Which I am on now). Now I have to call Asus and see what they can do about it. Oh and did I mention it ruined my on board Ethernet controller? Yup, had to order a PCI card in order to get back on the internet.

Anyone else had something similar happen? Apparently this is an ongoing issue with people running Windows 7 (64-bit has been the dominant target, as my case shows) and it's not uncommon.

...What.

I've updated a couple times in the past week. Nothing happened. I've only had the stupid thing tell me to do updates right after I just did them.

...What.

I've updated a couple times in the past week. Nothing happened. I've only had the stupid thing tell me to do updates right after I just did them.
Are you sure the updates actually "worked?"
I don't update, and I'm glad I don't, now.

Are you sure the updates actually "worked?"
I don't update, and I'm glad I don't, now.
I always update to the latest stuff with every format. Partially because most of the updates actually bring some stability to some software.

Yeah I can still boot into Windows 7 and everything. My internet works too.