Author Topic: Shadows kill my GPU.  (Read 820 times)

I've done a lot of testing in games and I find that shadows particularly on high end games cause lag. GTA4 doesn't let me do Shadows on Very High because of vram limitations, but if I set Textures from Very High to High and Shadows to Very High, it starts lagging around 20-25 FPS.

Crysis also starts going from 50 FPS on medium shadows to 20 FPS on high shadows.

"What is this I don't even" is probably what you're thinking. That's what I'm thinking too, but it seems pretty evident that large shadow work stresses the GPU.

Would buying another GTX460 of the same manufacturer and specification along with this power supply help?

P.S. I have this power supply, along with 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz DDR3, a Core i7-930 2.8 GHz, and a single GTX460 768MB.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:18:49 AM by General Nick »

Shadow rendering is a bitch.

Just lower the quality and you will see no difference.

Shadows aren't exactly the easiest things to process.

I don't see a difference really from medium shadows to high shadows. Just keep it on medium, your computer will thank you.

I don't see a difference really from medium shadows to high shadows. Just keep it on medium, your computer will thank you.

Open up Crysis and open the console and type:

con_restricted=0

and then

e_shadows_max_texture_size=4096

That should fix your framerate.

Shadow rendering is a bitch.

Just lower the quality and you will see no difference.
Seriously? That sucks.

I can run GTA4 with shadows on High though perfectly fine for some reason. I get a good 50-60 FPS.

If you are running sli you should probably get more like an 800w psu.

If you are running sli you should probably get more like an 800w psu.
Currently a single 460 but obviously I'm probably already hitting the peak as it is.

i laughed when i first played oblivion few years back.

going down the settings, i turned on the grass, turned on the grass draw distance to max.

then came to the grass shadows, and thought aghhh, ok then..... that wasn't really necessary to realism. or even noticeable. but its cool i guess.
nearly blew up my computer.

i laughed when i first played oblivion few years back.

going down the settings, i turned on the grass, turned on the grass draw distance to max.

then came to the grass shadows, and thought aghhh, ok then..... that wasn't really necessary to realism. or even noticeable. but its cool i guess.
nearly blew up my computer.

grass shadows.....