Author Topic: I have a 64bit processor without knowing I had one?  (Read 1421 times)

Okay so I went into my bios today and looked at processor info. This caught my eye. It said "Intel 64-bit Technology = Enabled."

Does this mean I have a 64 bit processor without knowing I had one? Also, can I upgrade from a 32 bit version of 7 to 64 bits?

Discuss.

64 bit is horrable. Nothing works on 64 bit.

You're an idiot. Shut up.

Yes, you can use the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Mackenzie says:
 Yes
 REAL 64bit.
 not fake stuff.
TomTheGeek says:
 Does everything work.
 ?
Mackenzie says:
 Yessssss.

I knew he had it. He has a bunch of steem games and BL.

Edit:
No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to back up your files and then perform a Custom installation of the 64-bit version of Windows. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows.

FUUUUUUUUUU.

I'll have to get a copy of Win7 64bit soon and get my stuff again.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:23:34 PM by ChuckTheArcher »

Sorry, I have a few games that don't work due to 64 bit. Oh well, I got an XP 32-Bit.

64 Bit means you can have more ramification :3

Sorry, I have a few games that don't work due to 64 bit. Oh well, I got an XP 32-Bit.
Well XP 64-bit is a huge turd. Vista and 7 have fine 64-bit versions.

You're an idiot.
You can use 32 bit and 64 bit software on a 64 bit and 64 bit works beautifully.

Well XP 64-bit is a huge turd. Vista and 7 have fine 64-bit versions.
I got 7 64 bit. Can't get SimLIfe, Legoland, and Zanzarah working.

Those game are 18, 10, and 8 years old respectively. No stuff you can't run them properly on a more modern set up. Windows 3.1 (for SimLife) was a 16-bit operating system.

This went from me finding out I have a 64 bit processor, to somebody saying that they have XP 32bit and going to 7 64bit.

Currently I have 7 32bit, I had a copy laying around my house. loving Dell not knowing 64bit was the way to get :c.

Nobody can get them working on Vista or 7 without being lucky enough I'll bet because they're loving old.

Please know what the hell you're talking about before you speak in a computer thread.

Also most processors these days support 64-bit processing, meaning if you don't already have a 64-bit OS then you could buy one and install it (assuming you have 2GB+ of RAM).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:32:30 PM by General Nick »

Nobody can get them working on Vista or 7 I'll bet because they're loving old.

Please know what the hell you're talking about before you speak in a computer thread.

Also most processors these days support 64-bit processing, meaning if you don't already have a 64-bit OS then you could buy one and install it (assuming you have 2GB+ of RAM).
Commpatabilidy mode is crap. Doesn't work AT ALL

And one blantly says "Won't work on 64 bit. Ask the operator for a 64 bit verision"

Commpatabilidy mode is crap. Doesn't work AT ALL

And one blantly says "Won't work on 64 bit. Ask the operator for a 64 bit verision"
No it actually does work except those programs are still old as forget and its even a miracle Windows XP wasn't too different from the older Windows versions that they could run it.

Mind you that the same thing happened with even more aged software when XP came out.

Here's the thing. I bought this PC in 2006. It was classified as 32 bit. The BIOS clearly says I have 64 bits. For 4 years I have not known this is a 64bit PC. I just upgraded to 7 aswell, so I cannot go from 32 to 64 bit Upgrade. The HD has to be wiped again and I am pissed.