Author Topic: Blockland actual server  (Read 15504 times)

I've looked into dedicated hosting services in the past as I was interested in such a thing. It seemed like many services (those that tailor specifically to low latency game servers) aren't interested in hosting small-time indie games like Blockland.

Your specific idea does not appeal to me, however. I'd rather not donate money to pay for awful DMs, fort wars, and a bunch of custom add_ons. A better idea would be to pay for a single physical server, and run multiple BL servers off it. All you do then is divide the cost of the server between the number of BL servers being hosted and those that donate end up paying a certain amount per month for their own personal server running whatever add_ons and game modes they like.

There are other issues too. Where would this server be located? It isn't really fair to host it in England/Europe if you want American players to participate. Also there is the issue of who has what rights/privileges over the server and its operation.

It's a cool idea, but it requires a little more thought and explanation than what has been provided thus far.
Hetzner is in Germany, but honestly, you all need to man the forget up if it even bothers you. Blockland plays smoothly up to over a thousand ping, there's just a minor delay but it doesn't jerk back and forth like Source games do. In fact, there is a grand total of *LE GASP* 0 servers up right now that I have less than 300 ping to for Blockland, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Americans would get, what, 100 ping or so instead of 40-50? Big whoop. It's not going to affect a thing.

Plus, it's not really fair to host it in America if you want English/European players to participate, by your logic. You can't please everyone, so it'd be best to go with the best hosting deal rather than trying.

Also, you could easily run several servers off that machine - not only Blockland but other games, as you say. And if I had the cash right now I'd happily contribute to running it. (Actually, if I had the cash right now, I'd have one to myself and be running a multiple-server RPG using one server for each major zone)

Hetzner is in Germany, but honestly, you all need to man the forget up if it even bothers you. Blockland plays smoothly up to over a thousand ping, there's just a minor delay but it doesn't jerk back and forth like Source games do. In fact, there is a grand total of *LE GASP* 0 servers up right now that I have less than 300 ping to for Blockland, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Americans would get, what, 100 ping or so instead of 40-50? Big whoop. It's not going to affect a thing.

Plus, it's not really fair to host it in America if you want English/European players to participate, by your logic. You can't please everyone, so it'd be best to go with the best hosting deal rather than trying.

Also, you could easily run several servers off that machine - not only Blockland but other games, as you say. And if I had the cash right now I'd happily contribute to running it. (Actually, if I had the cash right now, I'd have one to myself and be running a multiple-server RPG using one server for each major zone)
You must have horrible internet.
My server always has a ping between 40 and 60, and that's from my house over a hundred miles away.

I've got a plan drawn up for how I'd do this if I were to provide a service like it via RTB and I think it'd reasonably satisfy everyone's requirements. I don't think there are many/any people in this community I could trust with my money to provide a quality service.

If I have some time after RTB4 is out I could look into it, but only if there are enough people to offset the cost of it sufficiently. I'd aim to operate at breakeven or a loss as usual. I'm not too interested in turning a profit out of the Blockland community.

There are other issues too. Where would this server be located? It isn't really fair to host it in England/Europe if you want American players to participate. Also there is the issue of who has what rights/privileges over the server and its operation.
Funny, because my server is run in Europe and no one has a problem with latency.

I've got a plan drawn up for how I'd do this if I were to provide a service like it via RTB and I think it'd reasonably satisfy everyone's requirements. I don't think there are many/any people in this community I could trust with my money to provide a quality service.

If I have some time after RTB4 is out I could look into it, but only if there are enough people to offset the cost of it sufficiently. I'd aim to operate at breakeven or a loss as usual. I'm not too interested in turning a profit out of the Blockland community.

Don't you have a treasury branch in the Blockland LLC? You guys are a growing company so you should be able to trust an employee.

I wish I could help but im broke...I only have a $1.60 in my wallet and dont have a checking....yet.

Don't you have a treasury branch in the Blockland LLC? You guys are a growing company so you should be able to trust an employee.

ephi isn't associated with badspot or the development of blockland lol.
no more then most this community is.

I am actually surprised at the feedback. I was completely expecting a more "no one would ever want to do this" approach, just because it involves money.

One issue:
When I first installed my server, I had to setKey() my key so that the copy of BL would be owned by me, and I think solutions for this should be found.

If I were to do this via RTB people would have to enter their key as part of the payment/registration process for a server. I'm not going to bother trying to figure out some way around this.

If I were to do this via RTB people would have to enter their key as part of the payment/registration process for a server. I'm not going to bother trying to figure out some way around this.
This has nothing to do with you.

Also, I'd at least 35$ a month for something like this if I actually got access to it.

@kalph: I think the people who help paying will get the same access opportunities like heedicalking himself. For example via Remote Desktop...

I hope you get this up because i would like to help with the TDMs and if not ill just play em

I hope you get this up because i would like to help with the TDMs and if not ill just play em
It's like my TDM doesn't even exist...