Author Topic: Blockland actual server  (Read 15502 times)

...by putting roughly one quarter to one fifth of the Blockland community on one server that would be online all the time.
I doubt that would happen since I am located on the east coast of the US, so for some people in other countries, my servers would be unbearably laggy.

Hey, Im getting one of these for Christmas. :O

I doubt that would happen since I am located on the east coast of the US, so for some people in other countries, my servers would be unbearably laggy.
We've been over this multiple times.

Servers across the world are not laggy.

Ok that depends on your definition of lag. In my opinion i would say that when playing a multiplayer game, your connection to the server should not have a latancy of over 80 ms to ensure smooth gameplay. If the server is just for building then the ping really doesn't matter, but for anything else, thats a different story.

Before I even think about setting up paypal, I would need more people to actually sponsor the idea. I won't open a paypal to have 3 people donate $5 and then have me dish out tons of money for the rest of it, only to close it after a month due to not being able to support it all on me lonesome.

I need people to post:
  • How much money they are willing to donate.
  • What they want out of it. (Admin for a specific time period, donating just to support the cause, hosting privileges)
  • If they would be paying monthly or just once.

I'd do $10 a month. It would have to be a separate server so I can have my own settings and add_ons enabled. I'm not interested in hosting DMs and RPs.

Bump.

Edit: I was wondering if you could actually physically own a server in your house.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-DL360-G4-64-bit-Server-2xXeon-3-4GHz-8GB-RAM-2x300GB-/270661219257?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item3f04aa73b9#ht_3500wt_1183
The problem I would see is that it wouldn't be fast, since it would be using your home connection. right? I don't think it actually comes with its own connection.
Back to this, since it would cost a lot less probably. The ScatteredSpace dogfight server is normally hosted from someone's home that has a business connection. It would be possible to do it this way, but only with a high grade business connection. Here are the stats for the SS connection (I'm sure you'd need something better for this):
Quote from: Wizzard1
Business class Verizon FIOS, 20/5 with priority (business class) and static IPs.

As I said earlier I would be willing to host for other people. If someone wanted me to host a server for them I would need a few things: 1. List or .rar file of desired addons for the server. 2. config files for server pref's and other server items. 3. Their Blockland ID # and ID#'s of any other admins they want for the server. I would host the dedicated servers using my own blockland key.

Back to this, since it would cost a lot less probably. The ScatteredSpace dogfight server is normally hosted from someone's home that has a business connection. It would be possible to do it this way, but only with a high grade business connection. Here are the stats for the SS connection (I'm sure you'd need something better for this):

I have 100 mbps up and down.

People are acting like 64 players is a lot.

It is not, it's usually hardware that starts to suck.

I have 100 mbps up and down.
No you don't. That's your LAN speed.

All I said was that it was possible on a business connection and I gave an example.

Yes he does.
His college doesn't meter, so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Nice...I'm surprised they don't limit that.

Nice...I'm surprised they don't limit that.
I'm not.
They're college students, not some massive ISP trying to limit their clients.

True, but I got my figures from the network settings I have on my server (1024 packet size, rate-to-client 32) That multiplied by 64 players = ~ 14.5 mbps upload bandwidth for the server.

All I said was that it was possible on a business connection and I gave an example.

You are wrong ,I am not stupid. I have run speedtests and the internet here IS  that fast. I said earlier that I live on campus and when I can get a good test server, the upload speed I get is over 90 mbps.

Edit: Not the best results, but its a good example

This one here shows the massive inconsistencies due to the test servers sucking
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:42:54 PM by Starcraftman »

Alright, that's fine and I believe you. Sorry, I thought you were mistaking your LAN for internet like a lot of people do. Anyway, a community member hosting on their own connection would be the best solution in my opinion, since there aren't the high monthly costs other than their regular price for internet.

That is exactly why I am offering to host if enough people are interested in actually using the servers. I say someone put up a poll somewhere to get an idea of how popular x type of server would be if hosted 24/7 on a (really) fast connection.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:09:30 PM by Starcraftman »