Author Topic: scripting  (Read 4801 times)

were can i learn do scripting like to change one of my scripts to make something better

For starters, scripting is not really EASY to pick up. Second, there is no place to learn it at, just go fool with the coding in the blockland files.

For starters, scripting is not really EASY to pick up. Second, there is no place to learn it at, just go fool with the coding in the blockland files.

Don't be an ass. You can't edit the files.

Don't be an ass. You can't edit the files.

Maybe he meant bl0002  :cookieMonster:

Badspot

• Administrator
Look in the .cs files in the add-ons folder. 

Goto http://www.garagegames.com and search for things.  Theres like 100 crappy scripting tutorials.

Programming is sort of something that you have to learn by doing. 

Badspots said it, i dont exactly know how to script, but what i do know came from messing with stuff and looking at other scripts to pick out what i want.

i was just a small scripter in 0002 i started just by messing with the timeout delays and adding lights to projectiles, it was pretty simpe but you cant script in rbl i think.

i was just a small scripter in 0002 i started just by messing with the timeout delays and adding lights to projectiles, it was pretty simpe but you cant script in rbl i think.

Of course, the hookshot and multiple macro scripts don't exist.

As many others have said, scripting is mostly picked up from small edits of certain variables etc...
Before you start scripting I reccomend you have done a form of Algebra and that you are persistant. Torquescript is pretty good at starting you of on harder languages such as C++ and PHP.

Bill Gates taught himself, look where he is now!

Bill Gates taught himself, look where he is now!

I don't wanna go lower in skill then I am now.

I don't wanna go lower in skill then I am now.

I don't think you want to go lower in spelling THEN you are now, either.

As regards to scripting, I'm not very good with Torque, I only started about 3 weeks ago, but I am pretty much fluent in both the Java and Python programming languages.

The thing is to just check out all the files and existing scripts, and you start to get a feel for the theory, and way things are written down.

After that, just start editing variables and the like, and see what changes occur, and if you like them. Then start to see if you can create new triggers, which is slightly harder.

After a while you will just know basic Torque,  how it is written, and what sort of things you can do with it etc.

Hope that helped, and you should be a skilled scipter in no time!   :cookieMonster:

HMK

Garagegames has some books available for purchase too.

Torquescript is pretty good at starting you of on harder languages such as C++ and PHP.

TS is a horrible first language, it teaches you bad habits, includes useless extensions and lacks useful things.

• $ for global variables, % for local variables? Why can't they just use block scopes.
  • Tagged strings? Oh come on, stuff like that should be handled by the engine properly.
  • SPC, NL, @ for concatenating strings? Can't they just overload the + operator.
  • Same goes for the $= operator (which compares strings).
  • Functions should be treated as variables.
  • No .length/count()/foreach function/property.
  • Virtually no documentation. You can't learn a language if you don't know the syntax, I know there's TDN, but nobody wants to pay $100 to get access to some documentation.

Also I see no reason why PHP is hard, it's actually one of the few languages I'd recommend to beginners.