Author Topic: What is Blockland's ultimate limit in graphical and performance updates?  (Read 843 times)

Does anyone have any idea at what point Blockland will simply not be able to improve in graphics and performance no matter how much updates it gets due to its base engine?

Or is there no limits (within the technology of our time, obviously) because the engine can be freely modified?

yeah i didnt think anyone would post in this

no matter how much updates it gets due to its base engine?

*Many* Tisk tisk.

eh weird, 'much updates' sounds fine to me
but 'many updates' sounds fine too

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Both sound fine to me as well. Although, "many" does flow better.

A very good question indeed,
unfortunately I cannot answer it.

It has its limits, with the dated engine it dosent support complex graphic filters.

If you look at what torque could do now, and what this one does. It could be vastly improved with all the support and graphical functionality they added.

Graphical updates in Blockland is an interesting subject. Mainly because Badspot rarely mentions any kind of graphical improvement. The only thing he really does mention is how it will affect performance, not "We can do this, but not that."

I am sure effects like mirrors are brick shadows are possible, just not really something worth taking time to do. The only shadows that are really decent in blockland are interior shadows, which cast upon themselves unlike most shadows.

Sure you could give Blockland 8x AA, Bloom, Bump Mapping and Displacement Mapping, but would it honestly be worth it? Except for taking pictures, it would look stupid and get in the way. Walking around with lights shining everywhere with a really detailed player model and shadows wouldn't fit in at all. Blockland's graphics style is meant to be simple. Besides pictures, the only reason I see people wanting it is so they can say Blockland has it.

It has its limits, with the dated engine it dosent support complex graphic filters.
1. The engine is super modifiable, I'd bet Badspot could make it support it.

2. Badspot and Kompressor used to work for the company that makes the engine.

Eventually Badspot will have to change the engine as it becomes too outdated. We already are restricted by it somewhat by the engine. If you can remember, some people such as Trader or Spaceguy have stated that some add-ons just aren't possible without engine changes. Now they could mean simple script changes on Badspot's part, or just a completely new engine. I don't personally know.

But it is true that some visuals could use some improving, such as the draw distance of lights or bricks with dynamic shadows. But we do have to understand that all of this would be very time consuming and Badspot probably doesn't want to practically delete all of the work he has invested into Blockalnd. Unless of course its not as rash as starting over.

I expect that Blockland's engine will have to be changed at one point, but not anytime soon.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:02:27 PM by Straton. »

Eventually Badspot will have to change the engine as it becomes too outdated. We already are restricted by it somewhat by the engine. If you can remember, some people such as Trader or Spaceguy have stated that some add-ons just aren't possible without engine changes. Now they could mean simple script changes on Badspot's part, or just a completely new engine. I don't personally know.

But it is true that some visuals could use some improving, such as the draw distance of lights or bricks with dynamic shadows. But we do have to understand that all of this would be very time consuming and Badspot probably doesn't want to practically delete all of the work he has invested into Blockalnd. Unless of course its not as rash as starting over.

I expect that Blockland's engine will have to be changed at one point, but not anytime soon.
Most changes for those add-ons are actually less then you would expect. Changing to a new engine would be an incredible amount of work. Badspot can still do quite a bit with TGE, he was able to rewrite the download system, he can definitely do more large scale updates.