Author Topic: Computer abnormality.  (Read 348 times)

Okay, I have a custom computer so I don't really have tech support on it. I either need to fix it myself or ask a forum what's what.

This issue seems to have resolved itself, but I believe this is the second time this has happened and I'm wondering what's causing it. I turned my computer on and it went through a fairly standard power-up (fans came on, LEDs, temperature gauges) but right at the point where the monitor would normally come on with the mobo splash, it completely turned off. It stayed off for about about five seconds and then it repeated the process. I cycled the rocker switch on the PSU and turned the computer on again and the same thing happened. I threw the rocker, unplugged the power from the PSU, plugged it back in and then turned the rocker. When I hit the power button, it went through a slightly sluggish but normal power-up and it's working now.

The computer has done this once before but it resolved itself after one or two cycles. I think it went through three-four cycles this time with no resolve. My only hunch would be a PSU on its way out, but this is probably wildly off. Any thoughts?

stop downloading research.

stop downloading research.
You're exponentially useful, aren't you?

The computer has done this once before but it resolved itself after one or two cycles. I think it went through three-four cycles this time with no resolve. My only hunch would be a PSU on its way out, but this is probably wildly off.
This isn't a bad guess actually.

First try resetting the BIOS settings to default and resetting the CMOS on the motherboard.

This happened to me once though idk if it applies to you...

My video card was going out and it did exactly the same... Boots up, loads, till the point where the OS logo should appear to which it just turned off and turned itself back on and repeat...

If anything, Otis seems more correct then me but its a possibility you should know...

This happened to me once though idk if it applies to you...

My video card was going out and it did exactly the same... Boots up, loads, till the point where the OS logo should appear to which it just turned off and turned itself back on and repeat...

If anything, Otis seems more correct then me but its a possibility you should know...

This is possible too. The power supply could be stuffting itself when trying to provide full power to the GPU, or the GPU is stuffting itself when provided full power.

Or it could be something else!

Reminds me of when my video card went out... Too many trippy colors... That and when my monitor went dead for a bit. My best guess would be that the PSU's going out.