Author Topic: Looking to buy a new GPU  (Read 672 times)

So, when I learned my GTX260 might be dying I decided to start setting aside for a new card. I was just wondering what some good cards for around $200-250 would be. I was looking at the GTX460, but how would that perform against my current card? I'd like something that could 60FPS Maxed Crysis with at least 4x AA. I'm not having trouble with any games quality wise, but AA still kills me on the newer titles.

I'm generally an Nvidia guy but could be talked over to the ATI side, especially if I get a card that could max out (with AA) DX11 titles like STALKER C.O.P.

Go!

This topic makes we want to ask a question to answer a question.

Can you use 2 graphics cards simultaneously for better graphics?

This topic makes we want to ask a question to answer a question.

Can you use 2 graphics cards simultaneously for better graphics?
Yes, if they're identical cards.

Also I have no interest in SLi-ing my dying 260.

AMD Radeon HD 6870.

It beat out the GTX 460 on the benchmark tests. It's like, $220 or something.

At this price point it's mainly between:

1. The Geforce GTX 470 ($245+)
2. The Radeon HD 6870 ($250+)

Overall, the GTX 470 has a very slight advantage performance wise, but that comes with three major tradeoffs, compared to the Radeon HD 6870, namely power consumption, temperatures and noise. The 470 uses a whopping 100-110W more than the 6870 does at load. It also is roughly 3 times louder than the 6870.

Although I'm a Nvidia man, I'd personally suggest the 6870.

At this price point it's mainly between:

1. The Geforce GTX 470 ($245+)
2. The Radeon HD 6870 ($250+)

Overall, the GTX 470 has a very slight advantage performance wise, but that comes with three major tradeoffs, compared to the Radeon HD 6870, namely power consumption, temperatures and noise. The 470 uses a whopping 100-110W more than the 6870 does at load. It also is roughly 3 times louder than the 6870.

Although I'm a Nvidia man, I'd personally suggest the 6870.

I recommend it highly. The 6850 is a slighlty bit not-as-good as the 6870, but considering I'm going to use the 6850, I think I know how the 6870 will be. And like I said, it beat the GTX 460 in benchmark. Also, if you choose the 6870, don't get an XFX one. Fans at stock run at about 60%-80%.

I was looking at this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129166&cm_re=6870-_-14-129-166-_-Product

Yeah, it's funny, by the time my current card craps out or I have the money, it'll likely be a lot cheaper.

I was looking at this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129166&cm_re=6870-_-14-129-166-_-Product

Yeah, it's funny, by the time my current card craps out or I have the money, it'll likely be a lot cheaper.

I think VisionTek is a good one to pick. The only downside is the shipping, but not like it'll effect the card itself. Also, make sure you have enough space in the case before you buy it.

I think VisionTek is a good one to pick. The only downside is the shipping, but not like it'll effect the card itself. Also, make sure you have enough space in the case before you buy it.
My current card is pretty large. Here's a picture of it in the case before I had organized my power leads.

IIRC, I also placed my ODD and HDD at different levels than the GPU, so I guess it could protrude into the expansion bays a bit.

The 6870 can fit in there without a doubt. Yes, it might protrude into the expansion bays most likely, but it will be worth it.

I didn't realize graphics cars were that big :O

I didn't realize graphics cars were that big :O

They have graphic cars?!

But yes, graphics cards now a days are larger because they need a bigger fan with the more power they carry.

The newer Radeons that will be coming out will reach 12 inches :o

The newer Radeons that will be coming out will reach 12 inches :o

Holy stuff. That's a loving foot!

Holy stuff. That's a loving foot!
Yea, Radeon will be replacing it's Dual GPU 5970 with a 6000 series one. Should be interesting.