Author Topic: Don't lock your Topics when Solved  (Read 2889 times)

Its stupid because
  • Someone may want to add an alternate solution.
  • Someone may want more information on the solution.
  • Someone may have a very similar problem.
  • Someone may want to correct you if you left an error in the solution, or didn't post one at all
Forums are meant to be a type of archive, where you can leave information for others to find. If everyone locks their threads when someone tells them how to do something, or you figure it out for yourself - people will just have to make an identical post to yours.

Well, your idea might work if we had a better system on the forum to combat spamming.  Until that happens, I believe locking topics to be a good idea.

Then you're a fool. Our system to combat spamming is called THE OD NOTOR and so far - it's been working I think. Imagine you post a topic saying "Help how do i add stuff to a dropdown list?" then find out the answer - you'll lock it. But what if someone wants help adding stuff to a popup menu? Or wants to remove something from a popupmenu. A new topic has to be made, when it could just be added to yours.

Also, Terror locked his thread without even posting a solution, he just said it was fixed. How is that helpful or beneficial to the community? Its like going on Wikipedia, adding a new page and then locking it somehow so that nobody can add/edit it.

Overall, your silly idea will produce MORE spam in the longrun i expect, although it can't be classed as spam. It'll just be people asking the same question in another thread because you were worried someone might spam the thread you don't even use anymore.

Jesus Ephi, don't be such a richard! Haha.

You're asking for trouble from him DarkKnight. I know Ephi won't be pissed at me for telling him to calm down. I can't say the same for you. :/

EDIT: But yeah, I agree with Ephi. It's more helpful if people can revive a topic that has a similar problem to their own.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:43:32 PM by mocheeze »

Moch, he hates me for not having retail.  How much more of a baby can he be?

Meh, I hate people that mooch too. I'm also not a fan of just quoting someone else's post and adding nothing. It's a waste of page space.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:10:25 PM by mocheeze »

Well the great thing about locking a topic is that you can unlock them later.  So if more information needs to added later, it's still possible.

P.S. Mama didn't raise no fool!

Yeah, but usually the person that would bump an old topic wouldn't be the original poster. That's what Ephi was saying.

If it's worth not locking it then badspot might as well make a sticky with all the usefull topics/posts

While an FAQ would be helpful, you can't expect a thread to contain every question and answer ever discussed in the forums.

Badspot don't care about spam.  He just locks the topic.