Author Topic: Freedom of Marriage  (Read 3168 times)

Recently, I've been tested over the constitution, and many other aspects involving the United States. I've received a very fair grade of %91, which was gotten from days of studying. This is because, in Illinois, we as students are required to learn about and be tested over these important documents. But now, It's time to put my knowledge towards situations off campus, because lately I've been thinking about our freedom of religion as opposed to the limited freedoms of marriage.

I've noticed in the Declaration of Independence, it states that we have the right to pursue happiness. This bluntly contradicts with the state's ability to restrict certain marriages, for marriage is obviously a pursuit of happiness, as is religion as well. To my knowledge, there are currently no restrictions to religion whatsoever, yet they continue to place restrictions against marriage. I believe this violates our rights as U.S citizens, and I'd like to take this discussion to a similar age group. Please, feel free to discuss this situation.

Please note: This means any kind of marriage.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:23:50 PM by Custard »

Marriage of what? Gays?

I've noticed in the constitution, it states that we have the right to pursue happiness. This bluntly contradicts with the state's ability to restrict certain marriages, for marriage is obviously a pursuit of happiness, as is religion as well. To my knowledge, there are currently no restrictions to religion whatsoever, yet they continue to place restrictions against marriage. I believe this violates our rights as U.S citizens, and I'd like to take this discussion to a similar age group. Please, feel free to discuss this situation.

Please note: This means any kind of marriage.
The constitution doesn't say that. :o

The constitution doesn't say that. :o
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence and considered by some as part of one of the most well crafted, influential sentences in the history of the English language.[1] These three aspects are listed among the "unalienable rights" or sovereign rights of man.

Yeah, it's the Declaration of Independence, not the constitution. Sorry for the mix up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:24:30 PM by Custard »

Hold on, Lemme look it up :s
Although I'm pretty sure you're right :3

Yeah, thats a so called "natural right" made up by the overrated humanist John Locke that Jefferson put in the Declaration of Independence only I think.

Rousseau was so much better.

Arranged marriage

Either he is trying to legitimately fair, or he wants his lesbian whores to get married and be happy.

Yeah, but I was sure the Declaration of Independence still applied legally, but I'm not too sure anymore :/
Especially after studying the court cases, which developed the 27 Amendments. Very very strange verdicts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:29:29 PM by Custard »

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence and considered by some as part of one of the most well crafted, influential sentences in the history of the English language.[1] These three aspects are listed among the "unalienable rights" or sovereign rights of man.

I'm pretty damn sure :/
I might have gotten the documents mixed up.
The Declaration and Constitution are two separate documents. I'm just saying this, as the Constitution is what lays the foundation to federal laws (Rather, it more or less is federal law), while the Declaration just proclaimed the Union an independent state. (Well, states) :o

Yeah, I understand. But shouldn't the right to pursue happiness be converted into the Bill of Rights? We've already got the freedom of religion, after all.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:32:24 PM by Custard »

*ground breaking revalations*

What marriage restrictions?

Don't we still have guys marrying guys and that crud? I don't see anything limited here.

it's not actually freedom of religion, but freedom from religion. which means that the government cannot set up a state religion, and that we are protected from theocracies

Don't we still have guys marrying guys and that crud? I don't see anything limited here.
only in some states

I don't believe all the states still agree to this new law, allowing freedom of marriage.

Yeah, I understand. But shouldn't the right to pursue happiness be converted into the Bill of Rights?
It would be difficult. What "the pursuit of happiness" means to you may be very different from what it means to someone else. It's a very subjective expression.

it's not actually freedom of religion, but freedom from religion. which means that the government cannot set up a state religion, and that we are protected from theocracies
Since when...? o.o