Author Topic: Path Camera Mod [V.1]  (Read 16643 times)

Intro
This is a mod utilizing the built-in Path Camera. I have attempted to simplify it extremely so that everyone is capable of using it, but no doubt there will be bugs or people who have no clue what to do. The Path Camera lets you set up an invisible path within the game and then set it on it's course. This is extremely great for filming movies, showing off builds, or even just a fun ride throughout a build. Here is a link to the file on the RTB Listings:

Script_PathCam.zip

General Use
All you need to know about PathCameras in 7+ steps
1) Spawn your player wherever you want.
2) Type in /createPathCam
3) Go to where you want your journey to start and type /setPath (Get into admin orb for this, if you are in player form the knot drops at your feet)
4) Go to the next place you want to visit and type in /setPath again (It would be useful to copy and paste it each time)
5) You can continue setting "Knots" until you are done, 20 maximum.
6) Now that you are done setting up, type /pathCamStart. This may take a while, if it's your first time.
7) When the path camera loads, you should become the camera, and it should start moving forward, thanks to the new fix (If it doesn't, type /pathCamGo and it should start moving).
     - Now you will move through all the knots you created
     - Type /pathCamStop to stop the camera where it is, and /pathCamGo to start it again.
     - Type /pathCamHelp to find out more advanced commands
-Thanks Treynolds416

Random Features
Some features you may question include:
Feature: When starting the path camera, your admin camera goes back to your player and then the  path camera initiates.
Reason: If you automatically go to the path camera from your admin camera, the camera's emitter stays on and can get annoyingly in the way if you are filming or otherwise.
Feature: There is a max of 20 knots when creating your path.
Reason: This is built-in and as you make knots past 20, the knots at the beginning of your path get deleted, so I protected that from happening.
Feature: There are default speed, type, and path variables when you make a new knot
Reason: There are several different options when adding a new knot to the path and the majority of blocklanders will have no clue what they mean or what to use, so I made the /setPath command have a default speed of 6, default type of "Normal" (seems logical :P), and default path of "Spline". I'll go into more detail about these next.

Values
There are four different arguments when setting a knot in a path. The first is the transform, or more simply, position, of the knot. The next three are more editable and I'll go into detail about them:
Speed: This is a positive number (obviously greater than 0) that sets the speed of the path camera when traveling to the next knot. I've found 6 to be a generally fine default speed, but you may change the default in the script, or add the argument when using /setPath. (ex. type /setPath 8)
Type: I have not looked into the differences between these values yet, but there is "Normal", "Position Only", and "Kink". I have defaulted it to "Normal". I'm fairly sure "Position Only" just sends the path camera to the knot, but you are free to look around until the next non-position only knot. You can change this by adding it as a second argument to /setPath. (ex. type /setPath 6 Kink) (for the "Position Only" value, type /setPath 6 Position)
Path: There are two values to this and this affects transitions between knots. The two values are "Linear", and "Spline". "Linear" just moves between the knots as you would expect, but "Spline" smooths out the transitions between the knots and gives the final result a much more smooth path. Default is "Spline". You can change this value by adding it as a third argument to the /setPath command (ex. type /setPath 6 Normal Linear)

Videos
Here are a couple videos demonstrating the path camera (last one not my mod or video, but the same thing, nonetheless):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgfpXawD18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A-2n-5rTjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXRr6ErA3k
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:43:00 PM by lilboarder32 »

Very detailed description, I am looking forward to trying it out.

For spawning the PathCam, you have it spawn at the position of "fcbn(lil)"
Not everyone is named that :P

For spawning the PathCam, you have it spawn at the position of "fcbn(lil)"
Not everyone is named that :P
Ahaha, woops. Fixed, thanks.
Very detailed description, I am looking forward to trying it out.

Ya, I felt it was needed as this is a mod you can only simplify so far and many people need as much help as they can get.

Hello there, thanks very much for releasing this, any advise on the best recorder for a 1gb ram pc? not fraps, i've tested it.

Hello there, thanks very much for releasing this, any advise on the best recorder for a 1gb ram pc? not fraps, i've tested it.
With 1GB of memory you're going to be hard pressed recording a smooth recording, regardless of the recorder. I also am on a Mac, so I'm not sure what the next best recorder for PC is.

This is awesome.  Good job.

Taking a long time to start moving, good add-on though.

Taking a long time to start moving, good add-on though.
That's only the first time you become the camera, like I stated in the description. It's faster the second time and on.
Maybe I should make it take longer to create the camera, as opposed to viewing the path for the first time...

Love it :)

Hooray for the future of Blockland movies.

This add-on is amazing. I tried it out, and five minutes later, I made this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8RcVMb4g4

Reminded me of the Super Mario 64 intro.

This add-on is amazing. I tried it out, and five minutes later, I made this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8RcVMb4g4
Haha very cool. It got pretty crazy flying through walls and stuff, but still fun to watch.