Author Topic: How to determine your BIOS?  (Read 524 times)

going to trash it in hope of buying a better laptop. locked



So my main laptop has recently been infected with a rogue antivirus. I could not remove it as it has disabled most of my methods of removing it (regedit, cmd, msconfig, etc) and it will not allow me to open any executable file. Running Malwarebytes found nothing.

Anyway, I'm thinking of installing a new copy of Windows 7 on it, however I'm not sure if it's set to boot from CD. I attempted to access my BIOS to confirm that, however I don't know the administrator password.

I don't even know how to find what BIOS I have - the only thing it says on startup is something about Intel. I tried googling backdoor passwords but the few I tried didn't work.

I was going to use DBAN on it, but it doesn't have room for a floppy disk (haven't seen one of those in years anyway). I can't format it for obvious reasons. I can't use a boot disk at the moment because I don't have a clean disk to burn one to.




tl;dr how do I find what type of BIOS I have? should I just trash the laptop? it sucks .. but I'd rather try to fix it just to have something to do.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:44:37 PM by Sulfate »