Author Topic: Engine renders things not in view?  (Read 1154 times)

I've noticed a lot of FPS drops on big builds. Which is not totally unprecedented when you have to render 50,000+ bricks.

However, recently while playing on a server that featured a huge castle, I would experience tremendous brick lag while facing in the direction of the main castle. However, directly in front of me would be a large wall of only a few bricks that totally blocked the view of the castle.

Rotating my body around 180 degrees or so, and facing away from the castle and towards an identical wall, I would experience no FPS drop. NOTE: I could NOT see the castle in either examples.

My question: Is Blockland rendering bricks that are not currently on the screen? Has anybody else noticed  this? 

I think perhaps it culls faces, but not the bricks, so huge builds will lag.

Or maybe your computer sucks...

Badspot

• Administrator
Figuring out what you can and can't see is a lot more complicated than you think. 

Well, I lag at around 11k bricks + no frigging idea why, I can play much more "graphic eating" games than Blockland with no lag at all.
But when I go into servers with over 11k bricks, yes I lag, but only when looking at a lot of bricks at the same time, for example, if I look at 25 thousand bricks, I get 1 FPS (no joke) but when I turn around and I face nothing or maybe 2 thousand bricks, my FPS rises back up.
So I guess it doesn't render things not in view?

Figuring out what you can and can't see is a lot more complicated than you think. 

I have tried to think of ways to do it, I can't; I'm not saying that you should have done any better, it's a hell of a lot more that I am capable of as it is.

my computer is not exactly top of the line, but it's no slouch either. Pentium 4 630, 1GB of RAM, 6600GT.

Not saying I could. I've only just begun learning 3D programming and playing around with the jMonkeyEngine (Java - since that is what I am pro-efficient with.)

But it does seem odd.

Well my frames dip at anything more than 15k bricks in direct view, and I am on a computer older than 90% of today's current Blockheads.

What you guys need to realize is that all framerates are not relative to having a nice computer: they are relative to much more than that.

Well my frames dip at anything more than 15k bricks in direct view, and I am on a computer older than 90% of today's current Blockheads.

What you guys need to realize is that all framerates are not relative to having a nice computer: they are relative to much more than that.
Hooray for crappy computers!
I'm sporting a five year old dell with 256 mb of ram and a Video card that wasn't even that great when we bought it new.

AGP makes me die inside a little. :(