Author Topic: New Zealand attempting to ban file sharing  (Read 1309 times)

You all have a reason to mock New Zealand now, for a legitimate reason.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/4882838/Law-to-fight-internet-piracy-rushed-through

The Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Bill bans file sharing. It would allow copyright owners to ask for a six-month suspension of the internet accounts of those who repeatedly infringe.

Now I don't know if I am just reading this wrong, but it looks like our government is trying to pass through stupid laws everyone opposes by using the earthquake in Christchurch as some sort of excuse. If I read correctly, the political morons have decided that file sharing should be banned... I don't know exactly what they define by file sharing, but it sounds to me like uploading and downloading individual files from file hosting websites will be made illegal now..

I don't even...

New Zealand is the poor man's Australia.

Though with Australia's current censorships, filtering, and incredibly stuffty hostings and net speeds, its not saying much anyways.

Where else have you been getting your information, I'm assuming it's not just that article because that doesn't indicate you can't share files in general..

Where else have you been getting your information, I'm assuming it's not just that article because that doesn't indicate you can't share files in general..

In some of the bill it writes...

We recommend that the definition of file sharing in section 122A(1) be amended by including reference to downloading or uploading material using networks or applications that allow material to be shared among multiple users. This would avoid inadvertently capturing activities such as emailing or downloading that did not involve file sharing; if such activities breached copyright, they would be actionable under existing provisions in the Copyright Act.

That to me says anything considered file sharing, beyond general behaviour of Internet based applications, is illegal.
Please interpret it for me... :c

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2010/0119/latest/whole.html?search=ts_bill_Copyright+%28Infringing+File+Sharing%29+Amendment+Bill_resel&p=1#tmpn1011a

Edit:
including reference to downloading or uploading material using networks or applications

:(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:13:08 AM by Riot »

It hasn't passed yet, its greatly opposed but it might be rushed in. :C

It was trashed in 2009 when it was proposed then.

Why the forget would you...

Well, we do have a reason now.

Good luck with downloading stuff now.

-snip-

thats better than australia who wants to make a RAT for every computer here.

Its basically referring to stuff like Limewire, bit torrent and those illegal websites that host illegal files. I hate politics and I hate politicians, trying to be the goody too-shoes and loving everyone else up in the process.

I guess Icy isn't making any more add-ons and any time soon.

Yay
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:40:56 AM by Kevdude »

But I don't make add-ons. :U

Except for a slate edit, an emote, a few prints and a few audio files-- thats the easy stuff.

he just re-releases failed add-ons