Author Topic: Fairly deep question  (Read 616 times)

So I was doing some musing today during one of my classes, and I came up with this question. Do you think that a person has an integral personality that they are either true to or deviate from, or is the "personality" of a person simply a fluid reflection of circumstance and interactions?

its obviously fluid; changing based on experiences, influences of other people, events, lots and lots of things.

I'd say fluid because my personality has changed with social experiences.

Is that so, though? I mean, a lot of the time especially around adolescents you hear about "being true to oneself" and self discovery, soul searching, etc. which basically ends up sounding like there is some internal essence that comprises you at your most fundamental mental levels.

I believe it's a mixture of the two. Most people's actions and personalities stay the same, but they have the capacity to change if they really want to.

I know what you are getting at.  Unless you believe that people have false personalities that they shed during adolescence until they get to their true personality, I'd have to disagree honestly.

Your personality can change but your experiences and how you were raised shape you. Also peoples minds just think in different ways.

Is that so, though? I mean, a lot of the time especially around adolescents you hear about "being true to oneself" and self discovery, soul searching, etc. which basically ends up sounding like there is some internal essence that comprises you at your most fundamental mental levels.

yeah that's just people trying to act smart and think "deep" and find "meaning". just be logical, personality obviously changes based on experiences.

fluid. I opened my notebook to a drawing of 2.. things having tea and said "they're having tea~!" and wouldn't show it to her so she was all like "UGH WTF YOUR SO DUMB YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS"sheseriouslysaidthat, so now I hate that bitch. sort of.

How about this.

The way you change, and develop is based on your inner personality. What you take away from experiences, and how you interpret the experiences, helps shape the expression of who you are.

I would think personality is always the same. Emotion is the fluid of personality, though it does dictate what emotions are shown at what intensity.

Can it not be partial to both?