Author Topic: Blockland Brock my computer and Blockland  (Read 4878 times)

As for a fried video card, years ago I had a brother who made his own active cooling (meaning, it used water) system from 2-liter bottles, electrical tape, and hot glue (DO NOT do that...  It was a bad idea).  Take note, this was before active cooling was widely used.  It was probably around the time the first people were experimenting with it.  Anyway, there was a leak in his system that he was unware of.  He was playing Quake, when it locked up on him.  He looked in his computer, and found a puddle of water on his video card (it had been dripping onto it, thus that's where the water collected).  He was surprised it didn't lockup sooner, considering the amount of water he found there.  After drying everything out/off, he restarted, and it worked fine, luckily for him.  Eventually, he got the leak to be slow enough that having some paper towel on his video card was enough to stop the problems, as the water would dry out just about as fast as it leaked onto it.

Of course, since then, he's gotten better hardware all around.  I strongly doubt he even owns any of that stuff anymore, let alone uses it.

So yah, hopefully it was just the video card,  Good luck on getting a new/better one.  Mouser X out.
He should have used pure water, because that doesn't conduct electrical current.
Or alternatively, he could have used oil:
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/another-oil-cooled-pc

Did they have pure water back then....at a cheap enough price to be viable?

Did they have pure water back then....at a cheap enough price to be viable?
the producement of pure water isn't so expensive, you could also do it at home if you have enough knowledge.

But it would still be dangerous, think of the minerals that lay down onto your hardware just within the dust, contact with water, water conducts electrial current again *yay* :D