Is it possible to transfer W7 to a new hard drive?

Author Topic: Is it possible to transfer W7 to a new hard drive?  (Read 732 times)

I do not have the CD key, but I have the license key. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, but the guy I bought this CD from never gave me the OEM disk. Do you think I could transfer OS's to a new HDD without the CD ROM? If so, how?

Also, before you get smart, I HAVE googled this.

Can't you download it from microsoft in a trial form or something, and then just enter your key?

Can't you download it from microsoft in a trial form or something, and then just enter your key?

They have OS trials? :o

If you are still using the exact same hardware for your computer, yes you can clone your hard drive to another hard drive using Gparted or clonezilla.

If you are still using the exact same hardware for your computer, yes you can clone your hard drive to another hard drive using Gparted or clonezilla.

I wouldnt change anything except for the hard drive

I wouldnt change anything except for the hard drive
I'm not too sure about that.

If both hard drives work on your motherboard, why not just use the old one for your Operating System and the new one to store everything else like Steam, etc.?

It'll save you hassle if you have to reinstall the OS for whatever funky reason.

I'm not sure if it has a second port for the HDD, it is an old ATA drive.