Author Topic: 99 Players!  (Read 11368 times)

As far as bandwidth goes, you need 32kbps of upload per player to make sure you don't bottom out.  So for a hundred players you need at least 3.2Mbps of upload.  Also this needs to be real, sustainable bandwidth.  I know that some cable providers give you a little boost for the first few minutes of heavy usage but will eventually throttle it back down.  Also [tinfoil hat] I suspect they may artificially prioritize popular speed test sites.  

For cpu usage, it's number of bricks * number of players.  100 players with ~5000 bricks is probably no problem, but 100 players with 100k bricks is basically impossible.
Sorry about the bump, but....

I would like to say Vehicles or maybe just Jeeps lag the server like forget! I did a test, I had 9 players playing on a Sumo Jeep server and the upstream was 120,000 B/s (937kbps). So about 100kbps for each player. Only about 400 bricks were on the server! Then I cleared all the bricks and loaded a 6k build, to see if Jeeps were causing the high bandwidth consumption. The results were stunning! I was only using 30,000 B/s (234kbps). So only 26kbps were being used by each client, proving Badspot was right. I'm just wondering why when everyone or at least most people are in a jeep it uses so much more bandwidth??? Like 4x the amount! D: Does it really have to send 4x-5x more data?

EDIT: I got 16 players on my server and it was using 380,000B/s (2968kbps), while we were all in jeeps. That's 185kbps per client! D:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:45:43 PM by DrMaxwell »

I did this in my home.

Anyone want to do a speed wave?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:32:42 PM by -1 Up »

You can do this, just have to edit some files.

I have no idea if this is good or not...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:47:32 AM by -Kyle »

you would need some crazy internet like mine http://www.speedtest.net/result/1329358244.png and yes that really is mine i didnt just go find one off the internet.
You live far too close for my liking. :S
It's bad enough I have like 3 - 5 (ex) Blocklanders around my area, at least that I know of.

My upload loves me :D

Verizon FIOS ftw. Top 4%.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:12:31 AM by Wesley Williams »

OP, it sounds like a great idea. But it would be very difficult to accomplish, don't set your expectations too high.

As far as I can tell, I've got pretty bad internet, and my computer is not helping.

Lol I have fairly good Dl, horrible upload though lol

shut up you morons this isn't a speedtest thread