Misconceptions About Satanism

Author Topic: Misconceptions About Satanism  (Read 3371 times)

Copy pasta-ing this from my Facebook, just in case any of you give a stuff about the subject. I know a few of you who really need to read this. If it's TL;DR then close the loving topic and move on.

I'm writing this note because a number of people I know have skewed misconceptions about Satanism and what it really is. Keep in mind that this is only my interpretation based on my own ideas and rooted within all of my research on the subject. Every Satanist has their own way of expressing their beliefs, as does every Christian and so on, so I am not claiming this to be some sort of de facto Satanists' handbook. I'm only making this to, as I said before, clear up the misconceptions that a number of people have.

Satanism is devil worship!
     Satanism is not, "devil worship." Devil worship is devil worship, Satanism is Satanism. Devil worshiping is typically what angsty teenagers like to do because screw mom and dad and screw the system! Darkness darkness death death let's spray paint some graves blah blah blah. It's immature, it's degrading and it's stupid.

Oh yeah? Well what is it then?!
     There are different forms of Satanism, such as Luciferianism [depending on who you ask], Theistic Satanism, LaVeyan Satanism, etc. Each form is different in its interpretation of the afterlife, deities, magic, and what-have-you.

And what are you?
     I am Non-Theistic Satanist, I do not believe in, "God" , "The Devil." nor Heaven nor Hell nor magic.

But it's called Satanism! What's up with that?
     To non-theists, Satan is only a representative figure. Satan represents indulgence, man as an animal, knowledge and so forth. According to mythology, Satan is God's primary opposition- Satan represents the opposite of what God represents; man as an animal. This is why Satanism is called Satanism.

How about that pentagram with the goat head in it? It's evil!
     No it's not. Baphomet is a pagan deity represented as a half-goat, half-human figure. The origin of Baphomet is unclear, but the name itself is believed to be derived from the Greek words, "baphe" and, "metis" meaning, "Absorption of knowledge." While others believe it is a corruption of the name, "Muhammad." The first image of Baphomet's head contained within an inverted pentagram appears within an 1897 book titled La Clef de la Magie Noire by Stanislas de Guaita. A Tarot image of the Devil in the Rider-Waite design was derived from Lévi's Baphomet, which connected Satan to Baphomet and thus lead to its eventual adoption by Satanism.

How about that dreadfully disrespectful inverted cross? It's a Catholic symbol for crying out loud!
     Ok ok ok, I have to admit you caught us napping on this one. The inverted cross is actually the Cross of St. Peter, a Catholic tradition that says that Simon Peter was crucified upside down. The story is derived from a fragmented text titled, "Martyrdom of Peter" However, the modern interpretation of the inverted cross is that it's the opposite of Christianity, as it's an inversion of the primary Christian symbol. Many a Satanist and Christian sees it as a mockery but I see it just as it's supposed to be seen; the opposition of Christianity.

Well then if you're not a bunch of devil worshiping freaks, what are you?
     We're normal, every day people. We eat and breathe and walk and talk just like everyone else. We don't need any image or fashion to define who we are. (I'm looking at you, angsty teenagers) We're just ordinary people with our own beliefs and morals and we're proud of who we are.

What are your beliefs and morals?
     Well I can't speak for every Satanist, but generally we believe in working hard for what we want and what we want to keep. We don't have a God to rely on or praise or get angry with or obey, we worship ourselves and what we're capable of. We don't have a Devil to blame for the wrongness in the world or the wrongness in our hearts. When we create success, we pat ourselves on the backs and feel good. When we screw up, we look at what went wrong and then go about making sure it doesn't happen again. We don't waste our love and care on those who don't deserve it- I'm not saying we run around kicking old ladies in the face- I'm saying we let be what will be, and in the words of Anton LaVey, "Hate your enemies with your whole heart, and if a man smite you on one cheek, smash him on the other! Smite him hip and thigh, for self preservation is the highest law! - He who turns the other cheek is a cowardly dog. Thus shall you make yourself respected in all walks of life, and your spirit - your immortal spirit shall live, not in an intangible paradise, but in the brains and sinews of those whose respect you have gained." We indulge in things that make us happy and make the best out of life.

Well I still don't like it...
     Then more power to you. I'm not telling you to like it, and I'm not telling you to agree with it; I'm telling you to stop treating Satanism like the embodiment of every serial child enthusiast rapist on earth. I'm not shoving my beliefs in your face, so don't shove yours in mine. What I believe is harmless to you and everyone else so don't act like it's hurting you just because I don't agree with your ideas.

I hope this helped anyone ignorant in the field of Satanism, and maybe adjusted an attitude or two. If you have any more questions please send me a message and I will do my best to get you the right information.

Non-Theistic Satanist is an Atheist.

Thanks for clearing the rest of that up though.

Non-Theistic Satanist is an Atheist.

Thanks for clearing the rest of that up though.

Not necessarily. An Athiest doesn't believe in anything at all and just kind of exists. A Non-Theistic Satanist still holds the image of Baphomet very closely and believes in the same principles as a Theistic-Satanist.

To be completely honest, it looks like you're categorizing this obscenely specific, "religious" belief as what an average person should do to live a good life.

See:

What are your beliefs and morals?
     Well I can't speak for every Satanist, but generally we believe in working hard for what we want and what we want to keep. We don't have a God to rely on or praise or get angry with or obey, we worship ourselves and what we're capable of. We don't have a Devil to blame for the wrongness in the world or the wrongness in our hearts. When we create success, we pat ourselves on the backs and feel good. When we screw up, we look at what went wrong and then go about making sure it doesn't happen again. We don't waste our love and care on those who don't deserve it

So it looks almost exactly like you're categorizing yourself intentionally as a believer of a religion which is easily misconstrued by the general public badly, in an attempt to seem different and unique. When you could easily just call yourself an atheist without any negative social repercussions.

tl;dr
VH is being an attention whore.

Not necessarily. An Athiest doesn't believe in anything at all and just kind of exists. A Non-Theistic Satanist still holds the image of Baphomet very closely and believes in the same principles as a Theistic-Satanist.
Okay, so you believe in theistic beliefs, but you're non-theistic.

makes perfect sense

Aha. All that typing for only 2 3 replies.
Back on topic... I dont honestly care. I never got involved with religion. I pushed it away instantly.

I was (sort of) understanding what you were saying except for this:

"Hate your enemies with your whole heart, and if a man smite you on one cheek, smash him on the other! Smite him hip and thigh, for self preservation is the highest law! - He who turns the other cheek is a cowardly dog. Thus shall you make yourself respected in all walks of life, and your spirit - your immortal spirit shall live, not in an intangible paradise, but in the brains and sinews of those whose respect you have gained."

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:36:13 AM by Daedalus »

[Snip]

I'm not classifying myself as anything to gain any attention. I'm not just an athiest, I take pride in hailing the image of Satan and Baphomet. I'm not making this thread for attention I'm making it to help people understand what it really means. I don't want to just call myself an athiest because that's not what I am, but I understand how taboo the topic is so whenever the time is inappropriate I simply say athiest. The Satanic principles are not strictly theistic, hence their application to both athiest and theistic forms. But you obviously just want to argue so I'm not wasting my time with you anymore.

Aha. All that typing for only 2 3 replies.

Copy pasta-ing this from my Facebook, just in case any of you give a stuff about the subject.

I researched Satanism and Luciferianism a while ago. Some things were a little confusing so this was handy, thanks. <3

Lol, so you don't believe in Heaven, Hell, Jesus, God, Satan. So your basically a Athiest minus some bullstuff?

I take pride in hailing the image of Satan
Looks like you just completely contradicted your entire section on, "Satanism ≠ worshiping satan".

Also, you seem to be complaining quite chronically about people arguing with these ideas you've presented. Yet you're posting this in a place where people can comment, and the only thing that people can write other then, "Okay" and, "That was a good read", are arguments. If you wanted people to just read it and not argue, you should have just posted and then locked the thread.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:50:55 AM by SeventhSandwich »

Looks like you just completely contradicted your entire section on, "Satanism ≠ worshiping satan".

I hail his image, not worship him as a deity. The same way a man salutes the flag of his country.

Also, you seem to be complaining quite chronically about people arguing with these ideas you've presented. Yet you're posting this in a place where people can comment, and the only thing that people can write other then, "Okay" and, "That was a good read", is arguments. If you wanted people to just read it and not argue, you should have just posted and then locked the thread.

I'm addressing the people in my life who treat me like stuff because they're Christian and think I'm the anti-christ. Read the top, "Copy pasta-ing this from Facebook..." I welcome arguments against it, what I don't welcome is pompous attempts at shooting my ideas in the knees.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:51:33 AM by VerticalHorizon »

I hail his image, not worship him as a deity.
Assuming hailing and worship aren't synonyms.

Assuming hailing and worship aren't synonyms.

hail 2  (hl)
v. hailed, hail·ing, hails
v.tr.
a. To salute or greet.

Hail in the context you're using, means honor.

Worship = honor.

If that wasn't your intended context, then I don't see how saluting a deity counts as a faith.