Author Topic: Another PC upgrading thread(serious this time)  (Read 1420 times)

okay so I cant open up the computer im using now so I will just upgrade my bros pc
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00402425&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=470559&prodTypeId=12454
so I plan on running some modern games on low settings at least, with this card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=365486&CatId=1603

now here the problem arises when trying to find ram

when i search for ram it gives me a choice of DDR2 OR SDRAM
but not both.
and depending on what kinda memory this thing has, i might get a different card.
i might even need another cpu.
PERHAPS EVEN A NEW POWER SUPPLY.

This time I am completely serious because I have full permission and it's practical.

i only have $100 to upgrade it to the max

Good thing that wont happen?

Just pick bits out of the guide, don't follow every step.

But you will never upgrade your computer to modern games with 100 dollars. The GPU is going to be 300 dollars itself.

Good thing that wont happen?

Just pick bits out of the guide, don't follow every step.

But you will never upgrade your computer to modern games with 100 dollars. The GPU is going to be 300 dollars itself.
so I plan on running some modern games on low settings at least, with this card
and by modern, i mean released last decade

Yes. That was one year ago..

Yes. That was one year ago..
god i just want an average pc

Yeah and it's going to take more than 100 dollars.

Yeah and it's going to take more than 100 dollars.
You can buy used cards dirt cheap you know.
And they work just as well.

You can buy used cards dirt cheap you know.
And they work just as well.

He prolly needs a better PSU and a CPU to keep bottlenecking out of the question and depending on how old his computer is he may need a new mobo, but probably not.

So pretty much there is NO way he is going to fully upgrade his computer with 100 dollars.

He prolly needs a better PSU and a CPU to keep bottlenecking out of the question and depending on how old his computer is he may need a new mobo, but probably not.

So pretty much there is NO way he is going to fully upgrade his computer with 100 dollars.
god motherloving son of a bitch did i ask for a beast of a pc?

he's right though, a pentium IV can't run many recent games.

that is for fallout 3
it needs a 2.4 ghz processor and the pc mentioned in this thread has a 2.93

so it just needs a new gpu and more ram

Few problems.
Your CPU is a old architecture. For example, your Pentium 4 at 2.93GHz will have absolutely nothing on say a Core 2 Duo at 2.93GHz, even if they are both running the same amount of cores.
Also, it's an old socket, so you possibly can't upgrade it, but if you're happy with your old CPU, that's fine.

However. It looks as if there is no PCI-E or even AGP slots on the motherboard, just some standard old school PCI.
Would you be able to open it up and maybe take a picture, so I could see if this is correct or not?

240pin DDR2 is fine for this PC.

For Fallout 3 I got past minimum but I don't have a good enough video card for recommended :(