3 (37.5%)
Maybe.
0 (0%)
Not Sure.
1 (12.5%)
Something Else (Post)
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Welding Tool/Similar  (Read 3709 times)

Every once in a while I want to make a small hole in one of the plates in BL, here is how I think it might work. Basically, the tool would be used to cut a hole in a plate (a few limiters to keep from cutting too much would probably have to be added) so you could create a tunnel or whatever without having to make a myriad of smaller plates to make the hole wanted. Possibly, if you cut something similar to the following the plate could be pushed back and forth as sort've a door:
Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------
|                                                    |
|                       ______                   |
|                       |                           |
|                       |_____                   |
------------------------------------------

Thats it.

I don't understand

:panda:

tails he mean. lets make it so we can remove 1x1 from the plate thats 32x32 and its one brick

Is eveeryone stoned todxay?

fishpen0

Apparenltly.

He wants to be able to cut holes in baseplates so he doesn't need to make a ton of smaller baseplates when he is making a large surface with a hole in it.  I believe due to the way the bricks work, this is impossible, but don't quote me on that.

I believe due to the way the bricks work, this is impossible,

I believe due to the way the bricks work, this is impossible,

yea because bricks are objects right you cant really cut them without changing the model and doing that in game is impossible (as far as i know)

Maybe an engine script that creates the new brick in it's place, but it'd be complex, I'm sure. Badspot, do you think it'd be possible to make the engine create the new brick as held info or...Have the engine make it's own bricks that would have editable....I can't think straight.....argh

Erm... Why do you want to do this?

Its not like in real lego you'd get a laser cutter just to make it easier to build :D

But you could terror, and thats the point i think.
It would be odd and un-logical, but none the less possible to do.

It would be possible with a complex script to write .blb files that work, and access to a way of generating .dts shapes on the fly. And a function to refresh the brick GUI if needed.

There'd be no way to send these files to the client, though, so as soon as anyone used the Welder or Laser Cutter the brick would simply dissapear for everyone except the host.

Client callbacks have to be added either when the game is downloaded or by a client manually. This'll work for anyone who does have the Welder mod, provided a clientside part is added too, but not for anyone without it - giving dissapearing bricks again.

I wish mods could add commands like GUI opening to the client, it would be a lot easier to make some mods that way.

Welding Tool would be in engine code, so Badspot would just add the callbacks before he releases the tool coded Blockland :o

With the new brick rendering system, we can do all kinds of strange and interesting things.

I'm not sure we can just punch random holes in the collision though. Although we should be able to remove or rescale it.