Author Topic: Apostrophes and you, what your teacher taught you but you didn't care about.  (Read 1684 times)

Many of you guys know the correct usage of an apostrophe, which is great, I've seen many people who don't know how to use one.
This thread will hopefully help people that do not know how to use an apostrophe. (Clone ###, Hectic 2)

An apostrophe is a punctuation mark that represents characters (Letters, numbers) being omitted from text, if you mix two words you will probably need an apostrophe unless it's like Spoon and fork = Spork.

Example
INCORRECT: Twas, T'was, Tw'as, Twa's, ect
CORRECT 'Twas

I see this all the time, really it's a rookie mistake, everyone seems to fall victim to this one. You're taking out the I in the phrase "It was" and putting an apostrophe, why you'd ever need to say 'Twas is beyond me, but that's not the point.

It can be used in numbers too: 1849
INCORRECT: 49, 849
CORRECT: '49, '849

I saw this Hectic 2 guy say "Sides'"
INCORRECT: Sides, Sides' Side's
CORRECT: 'Sides

Probably meaning Besides, it should have looked like this "'Sides" if he wants to say 'sides for some stupid faux-southern accent when he's claiming to live in New York.

Now that you know your apostrophe get the forget out of here. I know this little guide will help like 5 of you.

What's the poin' in 'is 'read? Ah a'ostro'es rea'ly tha' impo'an'?

What's the poin' in 'is 'read? Ah a'ostro'es rea'ly tha' impo'an'?
I could read this because even though it looked stupid it was correct.

t'was helpful
Come on, think of something more creative, Stocking made me smile, you made me keep the same bland expression. ._.

you're
your

that makes me freak out in my head

I saw the word rookie and immediately thought you used me as an example for something

t'was frighting

I could read this because even though it looked stupid it was correct.

Come on, think of something more creative, Stocking made me smile, you made me keep the same bland expression. ._.
im not creative

I saw the word rookie and immediately thought you used me as an example for something

t'was frighting
That was cute ^^

you're
your

that makes me freak out in my head
Ohkay I'll draw you a flowchart

You are some serious richard, arn't you?
I already said I was posting with my iPod.

And you're a serious jackass for criticizing how I decide so say "besides"

do they move to the wrong side of the word when you use an ipod
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:08:55 AM by Eksi »

I took offense when he said I was trying to sound "stupid faux-southern accent, while claiming to be from New York"

now i wonder why you made this thread  :cookieMonster:

do they move to the wrong side of the word when you use an ipod

No, it's just crazy uncomfortable and difficult to type what you want to say.

No, it's just crazy uncomfortable and difficult to type what you want to say.
You pushed the same number of buttons to type 'Sides on an iPod as you would have to type Besides.

Symbols and then '

That's two.

Also
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:15:37 AM by Hiiro326 »