Author Topic: Looking for an affordable dual-core cpu  (Read 995 times)

so my previous upgrade has been good so far.

but in order to be able to play everything, i need a dual and/or quad-core processor for under 100 dollars.
I should be able to watch a YT video or two to figure out how to install/uninstall it.
So far i've been looking at
this one from newegg
and
this one from tigerdirect
and it should be compatible with
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00402425&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1101435

I've already upgraded the RAM and gpu, the power supply says on the side"MAX OUTPUT SHALL NOT EXCEED 250W"
so help me out so i can brag about it on steam

For starters, did you figure out what socket the mother board has?

Nvm, didnt click on link: Socket 775

edit: You wont be able to have a quad core with a budget of $100 but the 2 duos look good. The Tiger Direct one is slightly better then the Newegg one. Also, heres one you might want to consider:

Pentium CPU

Whats the GPU? and you need a new power source soon.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:20:40 AM by Shocklink »

What's your GPU?
Also, if you spent $25 more you could get a Core2Duo, much much better architecture.
You'd get way better performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

I have a used Core 2 Duo E7300, 2.66 GHz, can be overclocked if your motherboard allows it too.

$100, works great and if it does not work at all then you get a full refund.

I have a used Core 2 Duo E7300, 2.66 GHz, can be overclocked if your motherboard allows it too.

$100, works great and if it does not work at all then you get a full refund.
Out of stock :(

Out of stock :(
No I mean I have one right here on my desk that was a part of my previous build.

No I mean I have one right here on my desk that was a part of my previous build.
Ohhh
Nice :D

What's your GPU?
Also, if you spent $25 more you could get a Core2Duo, much much better architecture.
You'd get way better performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

The Pentium socket 775 BIOS does not support core2duo.

Miga told me this. He knows from experience.

Also, yay, madmitten can play games now!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:22:59 PM by Jorici »

The Pentium socket 775 BIOS does not support core2duo.

Miga told me this. He knows from experience.
Lol'd.
Socket 775 supports socket 775 processors. If a BIOS doesn't support a particular CPU (possibly just a once off for you), 99% of manufacturers will release a BIOS flash that fixes that.

Lol'd.
Socket 775 supports socket 775 processors. If a BIOS doesn't support a particular CPU (possibly just a once off for you), 99% of manufacturers will release a BIOS flash that fixes that.

So my Pentium D computer could support a core 2 quad?

How would I do a bios flash or whatever

So my Pentium D computer could support a core 2 quad?

How would I do a bios flash or whatever
If you do infact have a Socket 775 motherboard, yes.
What model is your Motherboard/Computer?
Also, it would be a quite expensive way of doing it though, a C2Q is around $240 for the lowest option with that socket. You'd possibly be better off getting a new motherboard and a new CPU as well. Phenom IIs are cheap.

If you do infact have a Socket 775 motherboard, yes.
What model is your Motherboard/Computer?
Also, it would be a quite expensive way of doing it though, a C2Q is around $240 for the lowest option with that socket. You'd possibly be better off getting a new motherboard and a new CPU as well. Phenom IIs are cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work. Alot of name brand manufacturers limit the bios. Especially if you consider that manufacturers don't intend for people to upgrade the processor

It seems rather consistent that you pull claims out of yonr ass. Perhaps you should do some resarch before you assume things.

EDIT: It doesn't look like HP even has a bios update on their site.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:12:43 PM by Righteous One »

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work. Alot of name brand manufacturers limit the bios. Especially if you consider that manufacturers don't intend for people to upgrade the processor

It seems rather consistent that you pull claims out of yonr ass. Perhaps you should do some resarch before you assume things.
That's why I asked if he had a prebuilt before I confirmed it.
He hasn't responded.

That's why I asked if he had a prebuilt before I confirmed it.
He hasn't responded.
it is prebuilt
For starters, did you figure out what socket the mother board has?

Nvm, didnt click on link: Socket 775

edit: You wont be able to have a quad core with a budget of $100 but the 2 duos look good. The Tiger Direct one is slightly better then the Newegg one. Also, heres one you might want to consider:

Pentium CPU

Whats the GPU? and you need a new power source soon.
my gpu is a 9500 gt
i might switch that out soon for a marginally better one.

right now i need something that will let me play dead rising 2/far cry 2/crysis 2/saints row 2 at a playable fps