Author Topic: Cube RPG, a BYOND Project (REVIVAL!)  (Read 16485 times)

This is a Cow-RPG inspired game I'm making on the BYOND game platform [A.K.A Space Station 13, animes and laggy stuff] and i think it's turning out pretty cool, you play as a.. cube, as the title says. [But the designs of the cube people will change, probably, they'll probably be smaller and have at least twow limbs.]
For anyone who hasn't played Cow RP, think about a game where you can build, fight off enemies and make shelter in a huge land with other people.

All sprites are made by me, which is great for something on BYOND, i guess!

This is the inside of an "example" house, the door works, and you can see a W.I.P clothing system. [And you can also change the colour of your block when you join]

Here's what it's like outside, a bit empty, but the foliage is generated, but the sprites are horribly, horribly bright, and needs some toning.

It's all very basic right now, but this is being coded completely from scratch on BYOND, and won't be based on anything like SS13, it's standalone.
So, any comments?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:33:14 AM by Aphtonites »

I don't think the cube people should have limbs.

It looks cute the way it is :D

Yay, a forum-made game that actually looks good and has progress!

I enjoy really simple graphics in games

Looking pretty fine at the moment, but blegh, I'm not a fan of that cube person sprite.

What i want to do is make a smaller cube sprite, so it can fit with rest of the scenery and not look so god damn huge.

Also, the reason why i chose cubes is because i'm generaly horrible at spriting figures, and the cubes don't need any direction sprites [But their faces and clothes do] So it basically saves a lot of work for me.

Just a small bump, i redid the cube sprites, they're much more reasonable now!

This also means i can use overlays so it looks like they are fitting snugly into a bed.

I loved cow RP, hope this as good or better than it.

Trees!
Eventually they'll get a randomly-chosen sprite so there's more of a variety, but they'll eventually also be able to be harvested for wood to construct stuff out of wood.
I want to set three different types of material you can use for almost any construction.

1.Wood
Cheap, easy to get, but is weak and can be set on fire.

2.Stone
Only found underground or in mountainous regions, but is very durable and can't be set on fire.

3.Metal
Refined stone, it is VERY strong, but not easy to make.

So, you could have metal doors, stone beds, etc.

Looking good so far.

The biggest problem i'm going to get through this would be getting the HUD set up.
Currently, i managed to get something onscreen, now i just need to develop a robust HUD system that supports an inventory and a "sleep" button.

At first I thought you were talking about the RPG version of Cube FPS. I GUESS I WAS WRONG LOL.

Anyway, this looks great! Keep up the good work.