Author Topic: I want to upgrade my motherboard, but what Motherboard should I take?  (Read 1530 times)

This is my current motherboard: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Socket+AM2%2B+(AMD)/ASUS+M2N68-AM+SE2+AM2%2B+uATX+?productId=36876

I am wanting a different one so I can have more gigs of ram. The only issue is getting it compatible with my graphics card and stuff, my Graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 9800GT, so if anyone can point out a motherboard compatible with that or a graphics card which is better/and will not cost me much, please point out, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:38:22 PM by Bloxxed »

Just take your side panel off to check on the PSU. You may be able to see what your mobo make and model is, but you should definitely be able to check the PSU model.

It's really not that big of a deal, if your concern is messing up your computer.

There are a few programs out there that can tell you your motherboard but you can't really find out your power supply without looking inside your case and reading the label, the PSU sends absolutely no data to your computer except for power and maybe voltages/wattage readings.

If you're going to be a sadistic bastard and constantly bring up that your Grandfather died you really don't deserve an answer. Plus Google the Question.

Just don't touch any of the components without grounding yourself first.
The only way sadly is to take the side panel off for the PSU.

Major edit to topic
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:38:35 PM by Bloxxed »

1. Is 4GB not enough RAM for you?
2. Upgrading won't affect your video card as it uses a PCI-E slot, that's pretty universal nowadays. However, it will really affect your CPU. You'll have to make sure it's entirely compatible, and it can be quite a hassle to change them over, you need to remount them, apply more thermal paste etc. Quite annoying. Can be done though.
3. It'd be easier to buy a new CPU, as the socket on there is quite old. What is your current CPU?

1. Is 4GB not enough RAM for you?
2. Upgrading won't affect your video card as it uses a PCI-E slot, that's pretty universal nowadays. However, it will really affect your CPU. You'll have to make sure it's entirely compatible, and it can be quite a hassle to change them over, you need to remount them, apply more thermal paste etc. Quite annoying. Can be done though.
3. It'd be easier to buy a new CPU, as the socket on there is quite old. What is your current CPU?
1. I'm getting way more lag when recording and stuff, so I think it's the ram.
2. No problem, I'll try and get it done
3. My Current CPU is a AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor (2 CPUs) ~ 3.1ghz

My advice:  Don't do recording unless you have a high end computer.  Anything less and you will have major framerate problems or your video will look terrible.

My advice:  Don't do recording unless you have a high end computer.  Anything less and you will have major framerate problems or your video will look terrible.
Eer, I can record alright, its just that sometimes when I'm livestreaming and stuff it'll just lag, but I mean that is compensated on my stuffty 100kbps connection,

AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor (2 CPUs) ~ 3.1ghz
This is an AM3 socket.
The motherboard is incompatible with your CPU.
I wouldn't even recommend getting a CPU that's supported by that motherboard, it's 2 generations behind.

1. I'm getting way more lag when recording and stuff, so I think it's the ram.
2. No problem, I'll try and get it done
3. My Current CPU is a AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor (2 CPUs) ~ 3.1ghz
RAM won't affect recording. It's CPU and Video card-bound.
You'd get way better performance from a quad core and a current gen GPU.

This is an AM3 socket.
The motherboard is incompatible with your CPU.
I wouldn't even recommend getting a CPU that's supported by that motherboard, it's 2 generations behind.
You do know you can get Phenom IIs on the AM2 platform, right?

RAM won't affect recording. It's CPU and Video card-bound.
You'd get way better performance from a quad core and a current gen GPU.
I really don't care, I just want a better core that is compatible and doesn't forget up, any ideas?

/late
Wow, really?
I want one then.