Author Topic: CONFIRMED 6.0 quake hits east coast; AFTERSHOCKS warned!  (Read 9663 times)

Anyone else on the east coast just feel that?! Holy stuff what the forget

No injuries, deaths or structural damages reported yet

6.0 quake, approx. 100 miles below the DC metropolitan area

Phone lines are down,
SMS, email, internet etc. are STILL ONLINE

CNN:
East coast quake: Airports ground planes, office workers allowed back into buildings, no injuries or damage reported
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/

Update 3:04 p.m. ET: All national monuments and parks in Washington are "stable but closed" following Tuesday's earthquake, a United States Park Police spokesman Sgt. David Schlosser said. A couple of minor injuries and some minor structural damage have been reported in Washington, following Tuesday's earthquake, according to Schlosser.

Part of the central tower of the National Cathedral, the highest point in Washington, D.C., was damaged, according to spokesman Richard Weinberg. "It looks like three of the pinnacles have broken off the central tower," Weinberg told CNN.

Update 3:02 p.m. ET: Amtrak is reporting service disruptions between Washington and Baltimore because of the earthquake, the company reported on Twitter.

Aftershocks are a concern, U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones told CNN. "People should be expecting (them), especially over the next hour or two," she said.

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City and on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, where President Barack Obama is vacationing. It's unknown if the president felt the quake.

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City, CNN learned within minutes of the quake.

Nuclear plant near epicenter has been shut down.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:05:38 PM by Nickelob Ultra »

Wow I just realized I never really hear about earthquakes in the US. :o

wait im in ohio does that mean im about to feel something

I felt a really slight shaking up here in Massachusetts. I don't know if it's related.

Shook the whole house, my little sis is freakin out.

I thought the title said vagina.
and I giggled.

Haha, we must've gotten the tail end of it, the whole house was slightly shaking, i've never felt any sort of earthquake before, and that small bit felt weird

No more please :(

wait im in ohio does that mean im about to feel something
If you didn't feel anything you likely won't but everyone in Towson is getting the forget out of their skyscrapers and almost all the phone lines are clogged.

forget that was scary.  I live in a concrete skyscraper I thought I was going to die, I was ready to jump out.

I didn't feel anything in Maine.

forget man, I felt in in New York City

the only thing i felt was the washing machine

I felt a little shake in Pennsylvania.

I'm in Connecticut, felt nothing...

I felt it. My room was shaking steadily.

Where my dad works, it was a little shake.
I am in PA, mind you.
WE GUNU DAH.