Author Topic: ASCII Animator  (Read 32614 times)

What file host are you guys using. Image Shack doesn't let you upload gifs :C
i use my website as my host

I feel sad. I have no clue how to use this. When I save, I don't see my file. Did not know you have to put .png at the end of the save files. But how do you make frames or do you do that by yourself?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:07:35 PM by paulcall »

I made this to hopefully clear up some questions:

I feel sad. I have no clue how to use this. When I save, I don't see my file. Did not know you have to put .png at the end of the save files. But how do you make frames or do you do that by yourself?

It's actually quite straightforward.

Instead of working on individual frames, the entire screen shows all the frames at once. You gotta figure out how big you want your animation (its measured by spaces, like one space = 1) in the X and Y axis. All those spaces will make up one "frame" of the animation. Then you gotta resize the area so it's a multiple of whatever the frame size it. Then make your animation, filling each "frame" as needed. When that is done, go into export, choose a file name, set the width and height parameters for whatever the "frame" size is. For frames, set the number of individual frames there are on the screen, and then pick a reasonable delay. End the file name in .gif

ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL
ONE RING TO BIND THEM

Thanks for the positive feeback guys :D I'm working on a longer one which will have more guns. And blood. And explosions :D

EDIT: god this thing is loving AMAZING. POSSIBILITES ARE ENDLESS.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:40:53 PM by Conan »

BUMP for new thing.

took ~30-40 min.

It's actually quite straightforward.

Instead of working on individual frames, the entire screen shows all the frames at once. You gotta figure out how big you want your animation (its measured by spaces, like one space = 1) in the X and Y axis. All those spaces will make up one "frame" of the animation. Then you gotta resize the area so it's a multiple of whatever the frame size it. Then make your animation, filling each "frame" as needed. When that is done, go into export, choose a file name, set the width and height parameters for whatever the "frame" size is. For frames, set the number of individual frames there are on the screen, and then pick a reasonable delay. End the file name in .gif

I did all of that but I still had problems. I opened animtest.asc and saved it as animtest.gif but there is no animation. I set the width and height as 10, frames as 8, and delay as 20.

I did all of that but I still had problems. I opened animtest.asc and saved it as animtest.gif but there is no animation. I set the width and height as 10, frames as 8, and delay as 20.
When you create the .gif you should have already predefined areas.

The .gif takes images from left to right, top to bottom. For example:

....   ...
..     .

the animator would take the four dots, then three dots, then two, then one.

Make sure your scaling is right for defining the size of the images, it can mess up a lot. Also I suggest deleting everything in the name box and manually putting in the name, followed by the extention. Otherwise it will say in the console that the file cannot be created (for the unstated reason that the name is not allowed)

and as a double help, hold ctrl to be able to drag around the workspace with your mouse.

and as a double help, hold ctrl to be able to drag around the workspace with your mouse.

Thank you :D

I guess its "TIME" again to animate.

I love this program.

Thank you :D

I guess its "TIME" again to animate.

I love this program.
new fad has appeared!

nice clock you got there.

hey wedge put this in the op. its a readme that gives you commands, etc.
https://bitbucket.org/bpio/ascii-paint/

Bump. Again

btw will make an interesting bump .gif soon (as in an hour or two, maybe less)

Last one for today:

also going to post this in the Tremors topic.

This is what happens when you don't leave the tray tables in the upright and locked position.

I guess I need to make some of mine a bit less choppy by lowering the delay.

Pretty nice. I like the style but I prefer to stick to an animator that doesn't really limit the possibilities.

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/35j032p.gif[/im

This is what happens when you don't leave the tray tables in the upright and locked position.

I guess I need to make some of mine a bit less choppy by lowering the delay.
Yeah, it's a bit choppy but really cool.

I'm also enjoying the witty jokes that go with each animation.