Author Topic: Dead ping on dedicated server  (Read 1665 times)

Hello It's me (again) and I'm very sorry that I am starting so many topics (as complained by someone, and I will be locking some of them) but If I finally get my dedicated server to work this should be the last one.  So my problem is that I am trying to host my dedicated server on our desktop Mac from an Airport Extreme (http://tech.ifelix.net/images300/airportextreme.jpg)
The problem is that when I host my server the ping comes out to ---.  I have tried joining it but I cannot and neither can anyone.  Now I know you are going to suggest port fowarding but I have already done that.  I know that on an airport Extreme you have to enable NAT too (already did that).  But for some reason it still won't generate a ping.  I am connecting from Ethernet cable and the terminal looks normal when starting the server and I don't see anything wrong with it.  I have been taking pictures and will post a link to them (http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/WALK2222/Dedicated%20prob/?albumview=slideshow).  Please ask for information such as "which kind of modem do you use?"
Thank you!
PS do I need a static IP?

I don't know why you bothered blacking out all the stuff on the screenshots.
On the third screenshot, what shows up if you click "Configure Port Mappings..."?
On the fourth screenshot, what other options are there for Connection Sharing?
On the fifth screenshot, are you sure that IP matches your computers IP?

Setting a static IP address shouldn't be necessary, all that does is save you from occasionally needing to change the port forwarding settings to match your computer's IP if it changes.

Just to confirm, you are still able to host a normal server just fine?

yes I am, on my laptop so far not on my desktop.  and I willl reply all those questions in a sec.

yes I am, on my laptop so far not on my desktop.  and I willl reply all those questions in a sec.
Wait, do you mean you can host on your laptop but not your desktop?
You need to make a second entry for port forwarding, with the IP matching your desktop's, and different ports (say 28100-28132), and change the advanced config options In blockland on your desktop to the same ports.

I don't know why you bothered blacking out all the stuff on the screenshots.
On the third screenshot, what shows up if you click "Configure Port Mappings..."?
On the fourth screenshot, what other options are there for Connection Sharing?
On the fifth screenshot, are you sure that IP matches your computers IP?

Setting a static IP address shouldn't be necessary, all that does is save you from occasionally needing to change the port forwarding settings to match your computer's IP if it changes.

Just to confirm, you are still able to host a normal server just fine?
So here are your answers

Heres what pops up on third screenshot
(picture below)

On fourth screen shot it says
Share a public IP address
Distribute a range of IP addresses
Off (bridge Mode)

On fifth screenshot
Well It matches my Ethernet ID (and won't connect to my airport ID)

Okay... hope this works ;)
Starting Dedi server......

You need to make a second entry for port forwarding, with the IP matching your desktop's, and different ports (say 28100-28132), and change the advanced config options In blockland on your desktop to the same ports.
So for the ports I enter in advanced config
 are they 28100 or 1800-28132?

It doesn't matter what they are, as long as they match the ports in the second entry in your router, and there's no overlap with something else that's forward
I just said 28100-28132 as an example because its +100 from the default 28000

You need to make a second entry for port forwarding, with the IP matching your desktop's
wait so enter my laptop's IP address? it would be (24.218.193.181)
and different ports (say 28100-28132), and change the advanced config options In blockland on your desktop to the same ports.
So any ports? or can I just use 28000? Or do I need to use something else? OR can I use the one you gave me (28100-28132)

wait so enter my laptop's IP address? it would be (24.218.193.181)
If it's your desktop that you're hosting the server on, you enter your desktops IP.
The IP you said looks like an external IP, google "internal ip mac" or something similar to find it. (Make sure you do this on your desktop, not your laptop)

So any ports? or can I just use 28000? Or do I need to use something else? OR can I use the one you gave me (28100-28132)
28000 is currently in use by the existing entry, just use 28100-28132

Okay this is what I entered

Here it is

I also entered 28100 in the advanced config but still I had no ping D;

YOU try joining from LAN server because it's on the same network as you. Also disable UPnP if portforwarding is on.

That's a good idea but still no one can join ALSO I don't know how to disable UPnP on mac even though I searched on google.