Author Topic: Need a new motherboard, but which one shall I take?  (Read 2319 times)

Yes, it's this topic again.

In the last topic I found that my Motherboard was AM2 and my Processor was AM3, and I can only have 4 gigs of ram and I have windows 32 bit, I need a good AMD motherboard that is AM3 and can go passed 4gigs of ram.(I'd like 64 bit)
So, I need a motherboard that can:

Support a Nvidia 9800GT Graphics Card
Support a AMD Phenom II X2 3.11ghz processor
Can go above 4gigs of ram.
Can support 64 bit
Is a reasonable price(150 pounds and lower)
And if possible, can be in the UK.

Forums, gogogo.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-m4a87td-evo-amd-870-atx-motherboard-am3-socket-07908205-pdt.html

It shouldn't be hard to find what you need. You are basically looking for a motherboard with an AM3 socket and PCI-E 2.0 slots. I'd imagine most, if not all, support more than 4gbs of RAM.

Very nice, also, another question.

If I put that motherboard in and connect it all up and do that stuff and I run it, should all my stuff stay so my computer will stay intact? Like all my shortcuts will stay on my desktop etc?

Very nice, also, another question.

If I put that motherboard in and connect it all up and do that stuff and I run it, should all my stuff stay so my computer will stay intact? Like all my shortcuts will stay on my desktop etc?
If you boot from the same hard drive, then ya.

If you boot from the same hard drive, then ya.
What if I change it from 32 to 64 bit? Still the same?

What if I change it from 32 to 64 bit? Still the same?
If you re-install Windows you will have to re-install games and other applications. You can backup your data and bring it over after you re-install, but things like shortcuts and Windows configurations will be lost.

The only thing that is worth to me is games and stuff, my steam folder is 100 gigs so and I have a really rubbish internet connection, should I save the steam games and other stuff?

And also, What power supply would I need?

I'm not sure how Steam handle's its games. You'd have to do some research on that yourself.

Alright, I've researched a bit, and more questions.

What power supply would I need for that motherboard?

And, to maximize my gaming, would that be good? A AMD Phenom II X2 Processor, 64 bit, 8(atleast) gigs of ram, is that good? My current set up is a horrible AM2 Socket Motherboard, 32bit and 4 gigs of ram.
I can run TF2 on high with my current set up so it'll probably be way more better.

Another thing is, can anyone recommend me any good ram that can get atleast 8 gigs or maybe even 16 gigs for a good price?

Also, would this help me record and livestream? Everytime I run like Penumbra and record sometimes it decides to have them richardy moments and drop to like 10 FPS.

Thanks.

If you get that motherboard you'd need a PSU that supports ATX. Anyways, I'm off, hopefully someone else can help you with the rest.

i like amd+ati
or intel+nvidia

but any other combos is just a sin

I have a PSU that I think can support that but hey, when I get back to my mothers I can see.

Can someone give me some good DDR3 ram? I have had a look at 16 gigs of ram and it's 100 pounds+ so can anyone give me some ram that is possibly 8 gigs?

i like amd+ati
or intel+nvidia

but any other combos is just a sin
Hm, I just like trolling nvidia/amd.

:cookieMonster:

Hold on. You currently have an AM2 processor. How did you get that you have an AM3?
If it's currently working in your AM2 slot, and not frying itself, then you have an AM2 processor. Don't buy a AM3 motherboard unless you upgrade your processor.
forget.

Judging by the topic name, you should take the one that's kickin' in the front seat, or maybe the one sittin' in the back seat. You must make your mind up young one, and pick which motherboard you'll take.

Hold on. You currently have an AM2 processor. How did you get that you have an AM3?
If it's currently working in your AM2 slot, and not frying itself, then you have an AM2 processor. Don't buy a AM3 motherboard unless you upgrade your processor.
forget.

No i'm sure am3 CPU's work in am2 sockets and vice/versa. its one of the best things about AMD.