Author Topic: Going to Buy a Gaming Desktop Computer! I Require Assistance!  (Read 807 times)

I need some opinions and help with purchasing a gaming desktop computer. It can be new or used, preferably bought from eBay, for up to $500. I've already tried looking, but I'd prefer hearing from you, the faithful and ever so kind community. What I'm looking for:
CPU: Anything AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ or above
RAM: Above 2.10 GHz, Above 3 GB RAM space
Video Card: Really any card that's up-to-date and can provide at least medium-high graphics without choppiness
DirectX Version: At least 9.0c
Sound Card: At least SigmaTel
Excellent memory space, and really anything else necessary for a good gaming computer.
Whoever helps me get a good computer will get a hug c:
Also, make sure, it has to be $500 or below

Please help, forum, you're my only hope.

Inb4somebodytellinghimwhatspe cstoget

Why not get 7 instead of XP?

I honestly think you're mixing RAM with hard drive space.

You are focusing on the wrong things.
Is it possible to build one yourself?

Yes

Yeah, Windows XP is pretty outdated.

Yeah, Windows XP is pretty outdated.
Why not get 7 instead of XP?
I prefer it though, I've used it a lot more than stuffty Vista
EDIT: I've used Vista, it's actually a new one, I just cannot stand its layout or anything
Never used Windows 7 though, I might consider it

I honestly think you're mixing RAM with hard drive space.
I think so also
My mind's in other places at the moment, that's why I'm asking you guys

It's possible, yes, but I can't.
I'm stuffty at making important decisions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:13:07 PM by Jairo »

There's no reason to not get Windows 7, especially for gaming.
XP doesn't support the newer versions of DirectX (I think 10 and up)

XP is going nowhere fast. Like Headcrab said, The latest 2 or 3 versions of DirectX haven't been supported on XP, as well as updates and general hardware compatibility.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227314
$450 with rebate. The processor is quad core, and has L3 cache, and is way better than the one you need.
I'm not sure why you specified 2.1GHz (2100MHz) RAM, but 4GB is ample. Speed isn't a deciding factor unless you're a crazy mofo who overclocks their RAM.
Any built in sound card in any newer motherboard will support 8 channel (7.1) surround sound out of the box. No need for a new sound card unless you're making music.
The video card is really good for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227314
$450 with rebate. The processor is quad core, and has L3 cache, and is way better than the one you need.
I'm not sure why you specified 2.1GHz (2100MHz) RAM, but 4GB is ample. Speed isn't a deciding factor unless you're a crazy mofo who overclocks their RAM.
Any built in sound card in any newer motherboard will support 8 channel (7.1) surround sound out of the box. No need for a new sound card unless you're making music.
The video card is really good for the price.
nevermind, thanks man

ass forget, the rebate ended today