Author Topic: Is port Forwarding Dangerous?  (Read 2620 times)

My brother thinks by port forwarding on our computer can get things stolen.  Is it true?  How can I convince him to let me? 

Nope. It's safe.
Many applications require open ports to function, and it's not quite that easy to hack you. Remember, there has to be a possible exploit that can be utilized through that open port for a hacker to be successful.

If it were really that easy to gain access to any network with open ports, there wouldn't be an Internet. Every web server has a very common port open, port 80.

Exactly. You automatically have ports forwarded for browsing the web!
Completely safe.

I don't know how to say this without being rude, so I'm just going to be rude.  Your dad shovels coal for a living and I am a goddamn professional computer programmer.  I know more about this subject than your dad.  Port forwarding, if done correctly, is completely safe. 

If port forwarding was dangerous, the Internet wouldn't exist. Like Devvy said, you need to open port 80 for webservers, and additional ones for other web services.

It's 100% safe.

if you forward the wrong port, your computer explodes.
seriously though, as long as you're forwarding the correct ports nothing bad will happen

if you forward the wrong port, your computer explodes.
seriously though, as long as you're forwarding the correct ports nothing bad will happen
Even if you forward the wrong ports, nothing should happen.

Even if you forward the wrong ports, nothing should happen.
Actually, some ports would be dangerous to forward, like the NetBIOS and SAMBA ones.

Actually, some ports would be dangerous to forward, like the NetBIOS and SAMBA ones.
Only if you're running those, and you're handicapped enough to not secure your samba install.

Only if you're running those, and you're handicapped enough to not secure your samba install.
Windows runs both of those by default (well, it's own smb implementation) is you select that it's not a public network.

Think of port forward as PUSH forward. Its increasing the ability of your ports allowing more accessibility. Basically enlarging existing ports.

Think of port forward as PUSH forward. Its increasing the ability of your ports allowing more accessibility. Basically enlarging existing ports.
You, sir, could probably get the prize as biggest active idiot on the Blockland forums.

lostfaithhumanity.png

My brother thinks by port forwarding on our computer can get things stolen.  Is it true?  How can I convince him to let me? 

Quote from: Badspot link=topic=75203.msg1280524#msg1280524 date=July06,2009,02:20:12AM
I don't know how to say this without being rude, so I'm just going to be rude.  Your dad shovels coal for a living and I am a goddamn professional computer programmer.  I know more about this subject than your dad.  Port forwarding, if done correctly, is completely safe.