Help with: speeding up computer

Author Topic: Help with: speeding up computer  (Read 1627 times)

/title

I want to make my computer run faster. To be specific, I want to play games faster.

I can run Blockland perfectly. It's other games that I have issues with, in particular, Minecraft. Can anyone tell me what I can buy to make my computer faster? Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:20:43 PM by curiosblockland6 »

i have about the same specs with the same problem

with minecraft

it's 1.8 :U

you could either wait until notch optimizes some stuff or wait until optifine is updated

i have about the same specs with the same problem

with minecraft

it's 1.8 :U

you could either wait until notch optimizes some stuff or wait until optifine is updated
Minecraft has always been a little crashy and laggy when I play it on full settings. (far sighting, fancy graphics) But since 1.8, it's been really bad. I can barely play for 10 minutes until it literally closes itself, so you're probably right, in that case.

Open up the start menu and type "dxdiag" without the quotes into the search bar.

Open up the dxdiag program and tell me what is your graphics card under your Display tab.

In general the 1.8 update has been hard hitting for many medium to low end player's computers.  The new lighting engine and probably a lack of a bit of optimization is probably to blame.

Delete some files,fix the lag problem

dxdiag:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:21:48 PM by curiosblockland6 »

Okay, so it's not the best GPU around but it's a low resolution.

I would suggest using something like GameBooster, and also close any unnecessary programs in the background when playing Minecraft.  It would also help to get the OptiFine mod once it's available for Minecraft.

Okay, so it's not the best GPU around but it's a low resolution.

I would suggest using something like GameBooster, and also close any unnecessary programs in the background when playing Minecraft.  It would also help to get the OptiFine mod once it's available for Minecraft.
Thanks, you've been a big help. I'll probably try GameBooster.

Anyone know a good GPU for under $600?  :cookieMonster:

Thanks, you've been a big help.

Anyone know a good GPU for under $600?  :cookieMonster:
Geforce 310M = Laptop model = you own a laptop = you can't upgrade anything but RAM.

Your only other option is to save up for a desktop (or a new laptop) if you want.  If you have a spare $600, I would keep saving that for another year or so.

You really really need a new GPU.

What's your PSU?
Open up your case and look at the PSU, there should be a sticker on it saying the max wattage.

Also, you've got a great CPU to work off of, we won't have any problems with bottlenecking.

Laptop. Hmmfph.

With $600 I could give you a list of parts that would easily be better than your laptop, for a gaming desktop for you, if you were confident in building one.

What, so you're saying I can't upgrade my laptop's GPU? :c

Ethan, I'd be up to building a desktop.

What, so you're saying I can't upgrade my laptop's GPU? :c

Ethan, I'd be up to building a desktop.
The only things upgradable in a Laptop are RAM and maybe Hard Drive if you're lucky.

Few questions before I start;
Do you have a Windows disk you can use? 7 or Vista.
Is $600 your absolute max?

The only things upgradable in a Laptop are RAM and maybe Hard Drive if you're lucky.

Few questions before I start;
Do you have a Windows disk you can use? 7 or Vista.
Is $600 your absolute max?
I have Windows 7. $600 is, most likely, my max.

Overclock.
Ram Upgrade.
Water Cooling
Larger Disk
Defragment
Delete Crap
Waste $100 for the Geeksquad to tell you what I just did and suggest the overclock setup to someone who costs even more.