Author Topic: Why my higher grade computer does not perform?  (Read 1433 times)

Don't just read the title and say oh durr buy new computer.

My PC tower that I recently upgraded its RAM to 3gbs (2gbs of pc-5300 and 1gb of pc-4200) along with a GPU that is a ATI Radeon HD 4550 GDDR2 1gb.  The problems I have been seeing stem from the fact my iMac is getting much better FPS on Blockland as it is a lower grade part computer.

Specs for the PC tower:  this is a 2007 tower fyi

Compaq Presario sr2180nx
2.8 ghz Pentium D 2 core 2.8 ghz per core
1gb ATI Radeon HD 4550 GDDR2
3gb RAM

Specs for my iMac:  this is a 2008 fall model fyi
2.66 ghz intel Duo core
256 mb ATI Mobility 2600 XT
2gb RAM

Just as I have seen my mac spawned gets around 200-300 FPS at highest settings on Blockland as with my PC tower it only gets 60 max on highest settings on Blockland.  As to why this happens I do not understand.  I have updated all the drivers.  the iMac runs windows xp professional edition 32 bit on bootcamp, the tower runs windows vista 32 bit.  If you can help solve how to get better performance out of my tower to get it to run optimally that would be nice.

Thanks

I don't think you can have more than one type of ram on your motherboard.

You should also check and make sure your mother board supports everything.

Just a dumb question would I have to go into my BIO's and check to see if it supports it?

Just a dumb question would I have to go into my BIO's and check to see if it supports it?
I doubt that would help.

I would check the manufacturer's website of your motherboard.

Yes it does and my system states that it is running a full 3gbs of ram both pc2-4200 and pc2-5300.

Badspot

• Administrator
my PC tower it only gets 60 max

You have vsync enabled.  Either in game or via driver setting. 

It somewhat increased my FPS yet I still am not getting near performance as what I have seen on my mac.

If you have 256k brick, what FPS does your Mac get? Try it on your PC as well.

It is possible that your FPS is still somehow capped.

I did try and I only got to about 106k before it became impossible.

Pictures:  sorry don't really feel like non page stretching

Mac:

Before

After

Pc tower:

Before

After

There is your test, also fps if you can't find is on the top left corner.

My guess is that something is still limiting your graphics card somehow, but I don't think it matters unless it falls under 60.

What kind of CPU does it have

It's in the OP.  Just read my OP.

Oh sorry I didn't see that. All I know is that good CPUs is needed for the best gameplay, and a duo progresser is better than pentium. Ram memory is mostly useful for multi-tasking, but having more does help computer speed.