Author Topic: Video card problem  (Read 749 times)

Yesterday I started up the family computer and the monitor didn't turn on but the computer ran fine, so I figured the problem was the monitor. So I switched it with another one that I knew worked, but that didn't turn on either.
So the only left option would be the video card. I reseated the video card and started up the computer and everything was going fine until just now when I tried to start it up again. Nothing is coming up on the screen and the video cards coolant fan isn't running, so maybe no power is getting to the video card at all? I don't know.
The card is an Nvidia 8600 GT.

Well maybe it got burned up because the fan isn't running? Just a theory.
I've had a similar problem with my graphics card, which no longer works.

Well maybe it got burned up because the fan isn't running? Just a theory.
I've had a similar problem with my graphics card, which no longer works.
It did seem like the fan was awfully close to another component, but I doubt that's the cause of the problem. I've never heard it making sounds that a fan rubbing up against something would make, plus the inside of the tower gets good airflow and is almost never hot.

Either the card has completely died, or for some reason it isn't getting power.  The 8600GT as far as I remember draws the power from the PCI-E, there is no PCI 6/8 pin plugs for it.

Maybe your PCI-E slot is damaged, which would make sense if the graphics card got its power from just the slot itself.

Sorry for the bump, but I started up the computer without the video card and the computer didn't give off any beeps, could this be a clue as to what the problem is?

its either the video card itself thats dead, a part of the computer that isnt powering it, or you have bad luck with moniters

im not a computer geek though

Is there an onboard video card you can test with?
Or, is there any other video cards you can put in there to see if it will work?

The 8XXX series had a lot of issues with the fan, it could very well have melted itself.

Is there an onboard video card you can test with?
Or, is there any other video cards you can put in there to see if it will work?

The 8XXX series had a lot of issues with the fan, it could very well have melted itself.
I don't have either.
I'll probably just purchase a replacement card, that seems to be the problem.
If it isn't, is it possible to replace just the PCI-E slot?

I don't have either.
1. Trying another card is the best option.
2. Nope.
It's hardwired into the entire motherboard, then you've got different chipsets to worry about. Not worth it.
Another option would be to get a PCI video card if you can't afford a new motherboard. Although they do suck and are limited by bandwidth severely, but it's still an option.

I don't have either.

Not really, that is part of the motherboard. If your motherboards PCI-E slot is fried, you would have to purchase a new motherboard.
I'm hoping its just the graphics card.

1. Trying another card is the best option.
2. Nope.
It's hardwired into the entire motherboard, then you've got different chipsets to worry about. Not worth it.
Another option would be to get a PCI video card if you can't afford a new motherboard. Although they do suck and are limited by bandwidth severely, but it's still an option.
That's what I was assuming. Whatever, a new card for the computer won't cost too much.

If it is your PCI-E slot, you can either get a PCI graphics card for around 50 bucks, or get a motherboard for around 60. If you don't really understand computer hardware much, it would probably be best to get the graphics card rather than a new motherboard and risk messing something up.

If you have another computer with a PCIe x16 slot, try it in that one and see if it displays (at least the POST screen anyways.)
If it's not the card, it may be the power. Try removing the power cables from internal peripherals and see if it runs.
If it's not the power supply, your motherboards PCIe x16 slot died. You'll have to get another motherboard.
If it is the card, you'll have to get a new one.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:18:38 PM by KoopaScooper »