Author Topic: Classic Rock Megathread  (Read 5057 times)

Classic Rock

Classic Rock is a genre of rock that appeared in the 60's and ran into the late 80's, with a few artists still cranking out great rock tunes in the 90's. Classic Rock is known for catchy melodies, anti-war messages, and generally just awesome music. Here's a good "organizer" of the most prominent rock bands ever:

Really Good Songs

Some view classic rock (or rock in general) as just idiots banging on guitars *cough* FLUTTERSHY 2.0, GOT HIS ACCOUNT DELETED IN A CLASSIC ROCK THREAD FOR FLAMING THE GENRE *cough*! This, however, is far from true. Here's a list of songs that have a real meaning to them and include a great rythym.

Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Cream - White Room
The Police - Synchronicity II
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
John Lennon - Imagine
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Led Zeppelin - The Ocean

Rock Instrumental Songs

These songs have no vocals, and are just long instrumental solos. They rock.

Van Halen - Eruption
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein
Focus - Hocus Pocus Okay, so this one has very brief vocals. But it's yodelling, so it doesn't count!

Really Good Albums

Many people don't really listen to albums in their entirety anymore, but they're still cool. Here are some great ones.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Boston - Boston (Debut album)
The Doors - The Doors (Debut album)
Billy Idol - Vital Idol
AC/DC - Back in Black
Duran Duran - Decade
U2 - The Joshua Tree
The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964-1971
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Supertramp - Breakfast in America

User Favorites

If you list your top five bands and I see it, I'll post it here. Sorry, no solo artists.

Mega Bear:
1. Pink Floyd. I love this band so loving much, All their songs have a beautiful meaning, and many of said songs are amazingly catchy in tune. Their albums "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" are simply masterpieces.
2. Led Zeppelin - Quite possibly the best rock band to ever ever ever exist.
3. The Rolling Stones - What can I say? This band is a classic, with a ton of hits under their belt.
4. The Who - Also  a great band, they wrote the rock opera "Tommy" and have a good amount of awesome songs like "Eminence Front."
5. The Police - Not a stereotypical 80's rock band. Thanks to their innovative nature, this band became popular and wrote insanely good songs like "Roxanne" and "Every Breath You Take." Not to mention Synchronicity II, which made the awesome song list.

SlayerZ99:
Led Zeppelin
Boston
Styx
U2

Vegetarian Zombie:
5. KISS: A little creepy for me, but still epic.
4. Europe: These guys are win. That is all.
3. Bon Jovi
2. Queen: Famous, through and through, and always deliver with songs that have sweet beats and a strong meaning.
1. Van Halen: Some of the best songs I have heard, and the band that really brought me to Classic Rock.

Dorkdotdan:
Supertramp
Moody Blues
JH Experience
Boston
Styx
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:53:11 AM by Mega-Bear »

rush and pink floyd own
and that is all i have to say *zips out of thread on hipstermobile*

rush and pink floyd own
and that is all i have to say *zips out of thread on hipstermobile*
Hell yes. I'm a big fan of both bands, progressive rock is awesome.

My favorites are

Led Zeppelin
Boston
Styx
U2
Van Halen

Vegetarian Zombie's Favorites:
5. Sum41: I don't really like the newer bands, but if I'm forced to listen to one, I'll go with Sum41.

4. KISS: A little creepy for me, but still epic.

3. Europe: These guys are win. That is all.

2. Queen: Famous, through and through, and always deliver with songs that have sweet beats and a strong meaning.

1. Van Halen: Some of the best songs I have heard, and the band that really brought me to Classic Rock.

My favorites are

Led Zeppelin I missed Robert Plant doing a performance near me so I am mad.
Boston
Styx Saw them in concert about a month ago, great show.
U2
Van Halen

Vegetarian Zombie's Favorites:
5. Sum41: I don't really like the newer bands, but if I'm forced to listen to one, I'll go with Sum41.

4. KISS: A little creepy for me, but still epic. One of the first albums I ever bought was KISS's greatest hits.

3. Europe: These guys are win. That is all.

1. Van Halen: Some of the best songs I have heard, and the band that really brought me to Classic Rock. One of the first bands I listened to as well.

Ive grown up with my dad listening to all this
His favorites are Styx and Boston
He was really excited when we got him a Boston t-shirt for his birthday lol

LE BON BOCK ATLANTIQUE, by The Beatles is my favorite.

Supertramp got in there! I love that band more than you know. I think Crime of the Century is a close second to their best album.

Fave Bands

Supertramp
Moody Blues
JH Experience
Boston
Electric Light Orchestra
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:49:41 PM by dorkdotdan »

Supertramp got in there! I love that band more than you know. I think Crime of the Century is a close second to their best album.

Fave Bands

Supertramp
Moody Blues
JH Experience
Boston
Styx
I like the Moody Blues, they're very unique. Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist, but I find his vocals a bit redundant. Regardless, he's awesome.

I like the Moody Blues, they're very unique. Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist, but I find his vocals a bit redundant. Regardless, he's awesome.
Ahh, you caught it before my edit. Whatever, ELO and Styx are both good.

*backs up hipstermobile into thread*
also grand funk isn't that bad look them up
*drives away*

Blue Oyster Cult, The Police, Oingo Boingo, and Thin Lizzy are my favorite hardrock and new wave bands.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:05:23 PM by Harm94 »

Rolling Stones- Sympathy for the Devil