Author Topic: LH Skybox Resource  (Read 9541 times)

Hi.

Hi, like many of you, my first mod of Blockland was a map. As I became more intrigued in map making I found myself scowering the depths of the web for unique skyboxes that could set my map apart from the rest. The unfortunate logic behind this is, if you found something on the web, so did someone else.

I've decided to freely give out skyboxes I've created to the community of Blockland.

Yes, score!

I hope this will help break up the monotony of BL maps and introduce us all to interesting environments through your works.

To use, just place the folder in
"base/data/skies"
and reference the resource.dml file in the map folder.

An example using the ClearDay_Sky would look like this
"base/data/skies/ClearDay_Sky/resource.dml"

ALL WORK IS IN 1024 x 1024 RESOLUTION

Lastly, I will update this post as often as I can with new Skyboxes.

You're welcome.

Clear Day Skybox

Download

Black & White Night Skybox

Download

Good Morning Skybox

Download

Stormy Night Skybox

Download

KoopaScooper Skyboxes

Evening Red

Download

Moonshine Skybox

Download

Morning Pink Skybox

Download
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:40:07 AM by LoserHero »

Looks pretty good, but isn't a "clear day" cloudless?

Feel free to rename it to 'Clear-ish Day'

Clear day is darker than the defaults.

I have a request, a really stormy looking dark night, no lightning, and no sun/moon, just a dark, stormy, cloudy looking night, I could use one of these for a mod I wish to create

To use, just place the folder in
"base/data/skies"
Not if you plan on releasing the map.

Not if you plan on releasing the map.
Obviously. But for quick and easy referencing this is what I recommend.

Wow, and when I released a loving .zip full of skyboxes, interiors, textures, and other great things for maps, it didn't get this many replies so fast.

Well, I added a link to this in my mapping topic as a resource.

I have a request, a really stormy looking dark night, no lightning, and no sun/moon, just a dark, stormy, cloudy looking night, I could use one of these for a mod I wish to create

Based on the description you gave me I created a skybox that should work for a stormy dark night. Updated the OP with preview and link.

Obviously. But for quick and easy referencing this is what I recommend.
Not in my opinion. If I make a map I will put everything I need in it to the map's folder. Cluttering default folders with your custom skyboxes, textures and others is a horrible idea.

Not in my opinion. If I make a map I will put everything I need in it to the map's folder. Cluttering default folders with your custom skyboxes, textures and others is a horrible idea.

It's not a horrible idea, it's just one way for developing a map with ease. It's just a guideline not a standard by any means.

If you host with the skies in Blockland/base/data/skies, you will see it, but even when people dowload textures, they will only see a default stone/concrete texture box as the sky.  Your method is virtually only good for Singleplayer.

If you host with the skies in Blockland/base/data/skies, you will see it, but even when people dowload textures, they will only see a default stone/concrete texture box as the sky.  Your method is virtually only good for Singleplayer.

From what I understand, you should only be editing maps in single player anyways.

As for the sky they will see whatever you had set the sky color to if the skybox wasn't downloaded or isn't working. For multiplayer purposes, of course you'll have to package everything appropriately and change the paths to the skybox via editing the .mis file.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:10:44 PM by LoserHero »

Which program do you use to make skyboxes?

If you host with the skies in Blockland/base/data/skies, you will see it, but even when people dowload textures, they will only see a default stone/concrete texture box as the sky.  Your method is virtually only good for Singleplayer (for you to view).
You obviously don't seem to get my point.