7 (9.2%)
Trance
9 (11.8%)
Hardstyle/Hard Dance
8 (10.5%)
Moombah/Glitch Hop/Downtempo
7 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: The EDM Megathread - Monday Monstercat release!  (Read 207236 times)

Raves are EDM parties. EDM "concerts" included. There's different connotations to rave for sure, but it doesn't make it not a rave.

Anyone been to a rave?

I'm supposed to start going when I get back from Arizona.
What should I expect?
I'll probably be sober or SLIGHTLY high.
I've been to a festival. It depends on where you are and what the scene is like. If there's no rave culture where you are it's probably going to be a bunch of dubstep/house fans that don't know any names besides Skrillex, Porter Robinson, and Zedd. If there's a thick rave culture where you are, there'll be girls in fluffies and people wearing obnoxious amounts of Kandi, some of which with light-up binkies and gloves with lights in them. Expect there to be drug culture. The rave scene has developed around it, it's unavoidable. To quote one of my favorite songs, "you can take the drugs without the rave, but you can never take the rave without the drugs." This doesn't mean people will be pedelling them to you, but they will certainly be easily available.

Protip: stay sober the entire time. You don't need drugs or alcohol to enjoy good music.
I'm going to say the opposite, I recommend taking ecstasy. The entire culture is based around it. Sure, you don't need it to enjoy the music, but it's literally not arguable that the music is more enjoyable on it.

Source: Generation Ecstasy: Into the World of Techno and Rave Culture By Simon Reynolds
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:06:01 PM by Trinick »

I might drink because I don't get drunk.

I might get high cause I do that sometimes.

I doubt I'd take E because it is 2hard4me

Anyone been to a rave?

I'm supposed to start going when I get back from Arizona.
What should I expect?
I'll probably be sober or SLIGHTLY high.

Listen to Trinick.  Going to a rave sober, while yes, is still incredible, it is way better to have some mind-altering substance flowing through your veins.

Enjoy yourself, and don't just stand there.  Dance.

will totally stay sober if i ever go to one, i don't need stuff like that to have a great time.

also again, can i get some hard dance stuff pls

all you guys who are anti drug are really in the wrong scene

edm is definitely the most drug infested crowd

Can I explain my stance?

I am not inherently against drugs. I do not take any recreational drugs personally, as I do not find it necessary or productive to, and I am not altogether convinced of a lack of consequences. I also think that it should be okay for there to be responsible use of recreational drugs, but regulated and taxed so that while the illegal drug market disappears, it isn't accessible to those who aren't capable of responsibility. I'm not far enough out of the loop to be ignorant about how alcohol regulations are treated, but I do think that the regulations still have some effect.

Anyway, I already understand and enjoy electronic music thoroughly, and I don't need anything else messing with my head.

How do you guys get inspired to make new songs?

I'm out of creativity.

Do you produce?

And? That doesn't loving mean that every goddamn person has to take them to have an amazing time. My definition of an amazing time is dancing to amazing music with your friends until you're about to pass out from exhaustion. I'm not even going into why I'm against drugs because all of you who use them will just continue throwing all this "it feels so amazing" stuff around. I don't give a forget how "amazing" it feels. I don't ever want that stuff in my body.

How do you guys get inspired to make new songs?

I'm out of creativity.
usually it just comes to me, sometimes though i'll just randomly start a melody and arrange it into something nice.

Anyone know Trinick's steam?

also again, can i get some hard dance stuff pls
Hard dance? That's me. You've got your Hardstyle over here, your Gabber over here, your happy hardcore over here, etc.

So, UK Hardcore? Alright. Here's some artists:
Scott Brown
S3RL
Darren Styles
Breeze
Gammer
Whizzkid
Re-Con
Modulate

The song you linked had really fast melodies, so this is another extremely fast paced song.

I've got a whole bunch of UK Hardcore songs you'd love.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:36:59 AM by Trinick »