Tardigrades - the coolest creatures alive

Author Topic: Tardigrades - the coolest creatures alive  (Read 989 times)

I just watched this, and found about about those cute little Chuck Norris's.

Discuss the awesomeness that is the tardigrade.

I have yet to meet a more badass and adorable organism.

I bet it can't color inside the lines like I can...

I bet it can't color inside the lines like I can...
Yes but can you color inside the lines
IN SPACE

so wait would that make them aliens

When I die, this is what I want to be reincarnated into.

Space bugs? NOWHERE IS SAFE.

They aren't from space sillies

Their awesomeness continues:

Tardigrades have been known to withstand the following extremes while in this state:

- Temperature – tardigrades can survive being heated for a few minutes to 151 °C (424 K), or being chilled for days at -200 °C (73 K),[citation needed] or for a few minutes at -272 °C (~1 degree above absolute zero).

- Pressure – they can withstand the extremely low pressure of a vacuum and also very high pressures, more than 1,200 times atmospheric pressure. Tardigrades can survive the vacuum of open space and solar radiation combined for at least 10 days. Some species can also withstand pressure of 6,000 atmospheres, which is nearly six times the pressure of water in the deepest ocean trench, the Mariana trench.

- Dehydration – tardigrades have been shown to survive nearly 10 years in a dry state. When encountered by extremely low temperatures, their body composition goes from 85% water to only 3%. As water expands upon freezing, dehydration ensures the tardigrades do not get ripped apart by the freezing ice (as waterless tissues cannot freeze).

- Radiation – tardigrades can withstand median lethal doses of 5,000 Gy (of gamma-rays) and 6,200 Gy (of heavy ions) in hydrated animals (5 to 10 Gy could be fatal to a human). The only explanation thus far for this ability is that their lowered
water state provides fewer reactants for the ionizing radiation.

- Environmental toxins – tardigrades can undergo chemobiosis—a cryptobiotic response to high levels of environmental toxins. However, these laboratory results have yet to be verified.

-Outer space – In September 2007, tardigrades were taken into low Earth orbit on the FOTON-M3 mission and for 10 days were exposed to the vacuum of space. After being rehydrated back on Earth, over 68% of the subjects protected from high-energy UV radiation survived and many of these produced viable embryos, and a handful had survived full exposure to solar radiation. In May 2011, tardigrades were sent into space along with other extremophiles on STS-134, the final flight of Space Shuttle Endeavour. In November 2011, they were among the organisms sent by the US-based Planetary Society on the Russian Fobos-Grunt mission to Phobos.

Panspermia, that is all. Oh yeah and green.

Panspermia, that is all. Oh yeah and green.

Hehe
PanSPERMia  :cookieMonster: :cookieMonster: :cookie: :cookie: :iceCream:

if there was a final boss in real life
tardigrade. a giant one.

Pretty awesome. I want a pet Tardigrade.