Author Topic: Don't lock or edit your topics  (Read 1472 times)

It's been said a fair few times before, stop locking your topics here. A majority of the time when someone thinks they've solved something, they lock the topic. But there is always something that they might have missed or there may be a better method to use, but they've locked the topic so no one can tell them. In this case, sending a message to say they could do it doesn't work because people might be searching for help with their code and looking through the topic, see the method that resulted in the lock and think it's the best method, when it's not.

eg. Someone might need to know how to ignore certain iterations of a loop in the following code (they're returning, which breaks the entire loop):
Code: [Select]
for(%i = 0; %i < 10; %i++) {
if(%i == 5)
return;

echo(%i);
}

Someone responds telling them that they can wrap the echo in an if which checks if the iteration is not 5:
if(%i != 5)
echo(%i);
}

It's fixed! It works fine, so the person locks the topic. But something important has been missed, which could potentially help others or simplify the original poster's code:
if(%i == 5)
continue;

echo(%i);
}

I think I remember that Ephi once unlocked topics and posted something about how people shouldn't lock them but they keep doing it anyways.

You also forgot to mention these things:

Never edit out the OP, ever. (or any post for that matter, unless you made a typo) When something changes, make a new post. When people need help later on and are smart enough to search, all they see is working code being declared wrong because you edited it into the OP. All it does is confuse them.

Also,
Never recycle your topic for a new problem. Make a new one. If anyone has a problem, I'll sort them out. All it does is add extra confusion especially for people searching. They'll never find the old problem because you changed the title, and likely all the posts within it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:32:11 AM by Destiny/Zack0Wack0 »

Where's that Like button when you need it?

Joshua Moon likes this thread.

Locking threads should be disabled by default for the same reason as in help. Information given that resolves a particular issue is often inconclusive, missing a full explanation, or simply breaks something else. My favorite "solutions" are ones so illfully formatted they only work by the grace of God.

[iurl=#]Joshua Moon[/iurl]
Why?

And I hate it when people lock topics like that.

Why?
Because in facebook your name is a link. My name is a link.

Yeah, it's a bit stressful when the reply that "solved" the question could be improved upon in some way but you can't say that because it's locked :(

Yeah I've made mistakes in my replies a few times, then can't edit it because the thread is locked.
It's annoying.

I'll remember this...

Completely agree.

I really hate it when at the end of a help topic that I want to post in, I see:
"Thanks for the help!"
"Lock your topic because it's solved."
"Okay!"

I think I remember that Ephi once unlocked topics and posted something about how people shouldn't lock them but they keep doing it anyways.

You also forgot to mention these things:

Never edit out the OP, ever. (or any post for that matter, unless you made a typo) When something changes, make a new post. When people need help later on and are smart enough to search, all they see is working code being declared wrong because you edited it into the OP. All it does is confuse them.

Also,
Never recycle your topic for a new problem. Make a new one. If anyone has a problem, I'll sort them out. All it does is add extra confusion especially for people searching. They'll never find the old problem because you changed the title, and likely all the posts within it.

Sometimes I wish I could be moderator simply for unlocking help topics and reverting the OP.

Help has no editing, but coding help doesn't.

Help has no editing, but coding help does.
And this topic happens to be in coding help.

There's also mapping help and general modification help.

forget this just happened with that clientside poll topic. I noticed I forgeted up in the script, even though it works there's a security hole.

forget this just happened with that clientside poll topic. I noticed I forgeted up in the script, even though it works there's a security hole.
Idiots, idiots everywhere...