Author Topic: Why Nerds are Unpopular.  (Read 2482 times)

If you're just here to stuff post you can get the forget out of this topic. Either post something pertaining to the discussion or get your ass back to Drama.

The topic has gone far off-course.

My, my, my... you're even as volatile as Iban.

One of the reason I like being a nerd (Gamer nerd that is)

When I talk about being a game designer with my nerdy friends:

Actual intelligent conversation and stuff about game design. (Think of Extra Credits I guess)

When I talk about being a game designer with "cool" kids, popular people, and jocks.

LOL! ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO? (Though it's very rare one of them will actually have a decent conversation)

One of the reason I like being a nerd (Gamer nerd that is)

When I talk about being a game designer with my nerdy friends:

Actual intelligent conversation and stuff about game design. (Think of Extra Credits I guess)

When I talk about being a game designer with "cool" kids, popular people, and jocks.

LOL! ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO? (Though it's very rare one of them will actually have a decent conversation)
I would laugh at you too if you said that to me. The number of people who actually make it and become a game designer is tiny. I've said it often, if you're not already using/learning the skills (proper skills) needed for game design, you'll never get in.

I'm afraid Boltster is right.

I would laugh at you too if you said that to me. The number of people who actually make it and become a game designer is tiny. I've said it often, if you're not already using/learning the skills (proper skills) needed for game design, you'll never get in.
I already am learning all the proper skills, heck most of my electives this and for the rest of highschool are game design related.

Then again I am talking to someone who likes to be an starfish to people.

I already am learning all the proper skills, heck most of my electives this and for the rest of highschool are game design related.

Then again I am talking to someone who likes to be an starfish to people.
Unless it's severely different in america, any course in highschool you do relating to game design will be an absolute joke. My point is, if you don't already practice and learn the skills you need (in your free time) the chances you'll make it are even smaller than what they are usually. I know what I'm talking about here, me and 8 other friends wanted to be game designers when we were younger, then we grew up and figured out the odds, and now only one of us is doing anything even remotely related to computers. Anything computer related is being outsourced. Anything not outsourced is extremely competetive and you need to be EXTREMELY good at what you do to get in. Those positions are reserved for people who have dedicated themselves to it from a lot younger age than you have.

Not trying to fully crush your dream, but be smart and give yourself a backup plan if you're really going to do that.

And nice, call me an starfish for giving really solid advice. Stay classy kiddo

Unless it's severely different in america, any course in highschool you do relating to game design will be an absolute joke. My point is, if you don't already practice and learn the skills you need (in your free time) the chances you'll make it are even smaller than what they are usually. I know what I'm talking about here, me and 8 other friends wanted to be game designers when we were younger, then we grew up and figured out the odds, and now only one of us is doing anything even remotely related to computers. Anything computer related is being outsourced. Anything not outsourced is extremely competetive and you need to be EXTREMELY good at what you do to get in. Those positions are reserved for people who have dedicated themselves to it from a lot younger age than you have.
Been dedicated since I got my first Nintendo 64 (Which was 4 years old i think) and got into the career since Grade 2.

Plus I live in Canada not america.

Been dedicated since I got my first Nintendo 64 (Which was 4 years old i think) and got into the career since Grade 2.

Plus I live in Canada not america.
Haha we obviously have different ideas of what the word dedication means when it comes to a skillset

Dedication doesn't mean interest. I was interested at a young age too, does that mean I was learning how to program? no. Does that mean I was learning any other skills relevant to game design? no

And when you say game design, what do you actually mean? What role in a company would you fill, ideas man?

I always thought nerds were unpopular because they're often boring people to be around.

I mean a lot of really smart people are popular at my school. My last boyfriend was captain of the wrestling team and had a 4.4GPA.

I only read a fee paragraphs but this seemed quite different to my school life, the nerds are often stupid, or does a stupid nerd become a geek? Idk, they wish they were popular and often try way too hard, even failing tests so it looked like they didn't care, but in the end everyone knows the nerds are nerds and their only friends are other nerds.

In my school at least, also I'm probably the 1-3 smartest in all my classes yet I'm not a nerd and am populas, why? Because I'm not socially awkward and know how to make friends.

Nerd part of the essay was cool, but the best part was the explaination of secondary school.

It is just a dog kennel that our parents utilize to have us generally educated but kept out of the way.

Nerd part of the essay was cool, but the best part was the explaination of secondary school.

It is just a dog kennel that our parents utilize to have us generally educated but kept out of the way.
good point yes very good explanation
unfortunately it sounds like something an angsty emo kid would say.

good essay 10/10 would read again
best essay 2012

none of this happens at my school, because the people here aren't socially backwards and can accept people for who they are

none of this happens at my school, because the people here aren't socially backwards and can accept people for who they are
Wowe wat losers lolol