Author Topic: Mapping after v21  (Read 1690 times)

We all probably know that we'll unfortunately have to say farewell to interiors and terrain for the next big update.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=184263.msg4881399;boardseen#new

Implying that custom maps will still be possible after the update (but without the terrain/interiors features, of course.) I'm thinking of making flat maps that are more than just simple slate edits, A lot of people here probably would still like having some pre-built scenery surrounding their builds, so currently I'm working on a bloko-styled forest "slate" with trees everywhere.

Here's a W.I.P model of one tree I'm working on, it'll be a DTS ingame.

So, what are the other mappers going to do once the update arrives?

Instead of making that tree into a model that requires 1,000 times the rendering power of a brick, why not convert the DTS into a BLB?

It might be possible to make something similar to the mission editor's terrain editor, but working with bricks. I think it'd be a good idea to brainstorm on how that might work.

Not to mention static shapes always have a square collision mesh, don't they? It won't work like the interiors did.

Not to mention static shapes always have a square collision mesh, don't they? It won't work like the interiors did.
It shouldn't be too hard to add some sort of polysoup type collision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl--48f_65U
If they do add some sort of mesh geometry as maps that'd streamline the whole process of mapping. Seeing as making maps in Blender or 3DSM and exporting to DTS is 20x faster than mapping in TC
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:27:27 PM by Khepri »

It shouldn't be too hard to add some sort of polysoup type collision. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl--48f_65U
PolySoup collision test in the FPS Environment Pack using TGE 1.5.2 and Ben Garney's OPCODE polysoup resource

Ben Garney

Hmmmm.

Why are you implying that i want this to replace interiors?
This is to add detail to the map, and make the map feel less like a flat wasteland.

I've got some excellent ideas.

No... Look at GSF carriers. It's not just 1 square around it.

No... Look at GSF carriers. It's not just 1 square around it.
those aren't static shapes though silly head

We need a default terrain generator if we are losing maps.  Make blockland like minecraft except with more than just cubes.

We need a default terrain generator if we are losing maps.  Make blockland like minecraft except with more than just cubes.
no

you KNOW modders are going to start developing terrain generators if they can once this update comes out hahaha.

that'll do.

I think I've worked out a dogfight map.

Why are you implying that i want this to replace interiors?
This is to add detail to the map, and make the map feel less like a flat wasteland.
Hint: You can put bricks on it
Also making this anything other than a usable brick is literally handicapped