Author Topic: KONY 2012: The movement to end Joseph Kony  (Read 24051 times)

(I think:) Some people realized that some African (dictator?) in Uganda was using children for love and as soldiers and now they're attempting to stop him.

Now just wondering, is it that eat da poo poo guy?

I can't watch the video because of my data limit can someone please explain to me wtf is going on?
Joseph Kony is a Uganda terrorist that has banded together a rebel union by abducting children from their families and indoctrinating them to his belief system. Joseph Kony is not backed by an government and only serves to further his own power. He forces these kids to kill their parents and mutilate the faces of rebels inside his insurgency in order to prove their loyalty.

This has been going on for decades. The problem is, that nobody has cared. Any previous attempts to stop or negotiate with Mister Kony has resulted in treachery. Often, Kony will agree to terms, become docile, only to abduct more children and strengthen his numbers and ranks before invading and attacking, rooting and raping again.

The guy that made this video hopes to make him viral; he wants to make the name "Joseph Kony" as well known and as despised as "Adolf Riddler", "Sadam Hussein", and "Osama bin Laden". To do this, he asks people to spread the word and on the night of April 20th, while most people are asleep, he wants people to hang up the "Kony 2012" poster. He hopes that people will wake up on the 21st, go outside, and see the Kony 2012 poster on every street corner, every building, spiked in every yard, hung in every community bulletin board, and printed on t-shirts of people in the streets.

Not knowing what the forget Kony 2012 is, and potentially assuming they were some new hip candidate, they will google "Kony 2012" or "Kony" and find the mission statement, discover the video, and hate Joseph Kony as much as the families in Africa that have lost loved ones to his regime. They will tell more people, make the news, and force the hands of their law makers to act in opposition of the terrorist, and in support of the people living in the areas afflicted by him.

Stuff is scary, not because of Joseph Kony, but the people who followed it immediately.  This could be good and bad, the fact that people may use the power of communication for good or to spread propaganda to manipulate.

I'm not saying the proposed intention is bad, what Joseph Kony did to the children was wrong and should be prosecuted for it, but the message sent to the people could be conveyed in many ways, and may also be the wrong message, be it propaganda or misunderstanding.

It's pretty compelling if it can motivate me to do something. I haven't opened up a CityRPG script file in like, two weeks.

This organization was created just so their founders could fund their moving making hobby.

the creator was just on morning news over here and he answered the criticism about the 1/3 funding going to africa or whatever. he basically said that this isn't following the traditional charity model and they value education and awareness as the most important aspect of the project. basically the aim is to make people care, from that governments will be forced to act. this isn't a "pay and we'll give it to africa" campaign

so i'm still all for this.

The link, which you obviously didn't read, has little to do with how much of the money goes to actual charity work.

The link, which you obviously didn't read, has little to do with how much of the money goes to actual charity work.
I did read it.

this is loving ridiculous, every youtube video has comments like "kony 2012" or "stop kony!" seriously, this stuff is equivelant of going to every loving youtube video and typing "stop aids!" it's bullstuff spam and it pisses me off when i want to read comments about a video and all i see is people posting about loving kony.

this is loving ridiculous, every youtube video has comments like "kony 2012" or "stop kony!" seriously, this stuff is equivelant of going to every loving youtube video and typing "stop aids!" it's bullstuff spam and it pisses me off when i want to read comments about a video and all i see is people posting about loving kony.
Wow, that actually makes me feel really bad. It makes me consider a lot of things.

Like how emotionally feeble you have to be to let a youtube comment ruin your day.

If the kids didn't think he was right then why would they be fighting for him!

Damn guys this man needs to be put down.

Let's all put an end to Sadam!

If the kids didn't think he was right then why would they be fighting for him!
Because there scared of what he might do to them. Seriously.

Wow, that actually makes me feel really bad. It makes me consider a lot of things.

Like how emotionally feeble you have to be to let a youtube comment ruin your day.
not 1 comment, when every comment on every video is about loving kony. if i went around the forum and posting in every topic, regardless of what the topic is actually about, about kony and how horrible it is, no doubt you guys would be pissed off at me for completely ignoring the topic in question. the same formula works for youtube videos, when you post about a video you post things relevant to the video or responses to other comments, not how loving horrible kony is even when it's a video about a half fish half woman and a stupid sailor who forgets it.