Author Topic: Electrical outlet/electric anything help.  (Read 428 times)

So my house is very old, and this room is old. I have everything plugged into an adapter to the wall outlet, I accidentally pulled a wire (cord that was unplugged, but caught around the master cord) and it unplugged everything for a second. The outlet itself is very loose, and stuff needs to be supported to stay in due to weight.

I plugged the master power cord back into a wall and it let off a small spark between the inner socket and the metal plug... nub thing, no warmth, no fire, but shortly after, my fire alarm chirped for a new battery, which scared the forget out of me. I'm a very paranoid person, so excuse me. But we replaced the battery and all seems to be fine, no alarm, but i'm still skeptical.

Am I in danger at all? or was this just coincidence or what?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:17:59 PM by Sabbin »

Picture please.
I know electrical circuits really well.

Electrical outlets use spring like plates to make contact with the prongs on your device (in North America at least). The reason nothing stays in your outlet is that those plates are worn out. There is no immediate danger to your house burning down unless the outlet is damaged in other ways. The best thing to do is to replace it to prevent a fire or electrocution from exposed leads though.

Every time you plug something in or throw a switch there will be a spark. That is just the physical nature of electricity.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:31:29 PM by Otis Da HousKat »

Picture please.
I know electrical circuits really well.

it's kind of hard to take a picture of an instantaneous spark. Unless you mean the socket.

there's no darkening or soot left from it.

And to Otis, my dad will try to tighten it later, unless you mean we need a new socket altogether.

You probably need a new socket. They are only a few dollars and much less effort and safer than trying to fix it yourself.

Oh. There's sparks?
Sorry I misread. I would suggest replacing it just to be safe. Fire hazard but you should be fine for now.

You probably need a new socket. They are only a few dollars and much less effort and safer than trying to fix it yourself.

Alright. Does it make any difference that this room was an addition to the house a while back?

EDIT: also, is there any danger in installing a new socket altogether?

Alright. Does it make any difference that this room was an addition to the house a while back?

EDIT: also, is there any danger in installing a new socket altogether?
Only if you are handicapped and don't open the circuit to that outlet before trying to install a new one.

Only if you are handicapped and don't open the circuit to that outlet before trying to install a new one.

My dad said he'd try to get a wallplug that is anchored to the center screw rather than replacing the socket. Don't know if he knows what he means/understands what I meant ._.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:47:02 PM by Sabbin »

There are sparks in hotpoints all the time when plugging things in. Not a huge fire hazard, over here at least.