Author Topic: Post Your Desktop 2 / Desktop Megathread  (Read 285073 times)

Finally decided to revise the OP

Windows Resources:

OS X Resources:
(if someone can point me to good places for stuff OS X-wise, please do!)

Linux Resources:

Mobile Platform Resources:
Platform Independent Resources:

Cool tricks and stuff, provided by the forums:
TheBlackParrot - Linux
To use a XScsreensaver as your wallpaper, or any kind of screensaver for that matter, use
Code: [Select]
xwinwrap -b -fs -sp -fs -nf -ov  -- /usr/lib/xscreensaver/[name of screensaver] -root -window-id WIDYou may have to install xwinwrap and xscreensaver, instructions depend on your distro.

To enable compositing on desktop environments that may have none by default (LXDE and Openbox, for example), install xcompmgr, fusion-icon, compton, or cairo-compmgr. KDE, GNOME 3, and XFCE have their own compositing managers, but you can use these 4 with them as well.
You may have to use a certain window manager with compiz/fusion-icon, however; just a heads up.

Enabling SNA acceleration on Intel embedded graphics may help with effect performance, and overall performance in general. (page may differ a bit on different distros)

Conky is typically used for desktop widgets within Linux. It can even be piped out to a file or a terminal.

TheBlackParrot - Windows
GDI++ is known for giving fonts the OS X-like rendering. Be warned that it may cause a very few amount of applications not to draw text correctly, however.

Yz Shadow is a program that draws shadows or a glowing effect around windows/menus on Windows XP or any non-Aero theme in Vista or 7.

Rainmeter and Samurize are typically used for desktop widgets within Windows.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:58:07 PM by TheBlackParrot »

it isnt allways purple, it changes color very slowly.

8:53 in the loving morning
aghh
click image for larger
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:57:07 AM by K3k0m@n »

it isnt allways purple, it changes color very slowly.

8:53 in the loving morning
aghh
click image for larger
That looks like a mess, how do you get to that Pinnacle program thing, Garry's Mod or one of the folders that are buried?

That looks like a mess, how do you get to that Pinnacle program thing, Garry's Mod or one of the folders that are buried?
what?
i don't even have Garry's Mod
the Pinnacle thing is the program i use to edit the videos on my channel.
usally when i need to get to them things i move everything ontop of the program, click it and do stuff.
maybe later today il try and make it better.

what?
i don't even have Garry's Mod
Oh, then that must be Skype i'm seeing

is that mario with a portal gun
and why do you have a virus
guys dont download anything from the guy above.

is that mario with a portal gun
and why do you have a virus
guys dont download anything from the guy above.
Yes

loving ninja.
That's a folder where I keep all my anti virus stuff.

Its pretty big.

People and their fancy multi-desktop computers!

i'm in the middle of a mirrors edge fad, what of it