Author Topic: Pixel Art  (Read 780622 times)

yes but that art is more styled with snes in mind, while a lot of indie devs use the 8-bit  mario bros look, and it just doesnt work unless you put in a lot of detail, which you cant do with 8-bit (inspired) graphics.

You have a poor concept of what NES and SNES graphics look like.  The examples I gave are NES-styled/inspired.

this gon b gud
i know its not pixel art, but cut me some slack there isn't a generic 'art' thread, so

i know its not pixel art, but cut me some slack there isn't a generic 'art' thread, so
I think it would've been fine with either this topic or the 3D model topic, but a voxel thread of some sort would be cool.

I think it would've been fine with either this topic or the 3D model topic, but a voxel thread of some sort would be cool.
i'm pretty sure there was but it's not as "mega" so it died off

im real loving tired of literally all indie devs at the moment using pixel art thats reminiscent of the nes days, but this rant is off topic, for your first piece it doesnt look to bad. if your trying to make a person / weird alien thing it looks fine for a first piece, if you animated it you could probably do something cool with it too.
What if I just made a headcrab zombie from BMS or HL2
Oops sorry I wasn't thinking clearly, also its a zombie. Ill try to find some program to make a gif loop thing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:00:38 AM by Potatoh »

do you mean that the art is lazy and awful because it doesn't constrain to arbitrary limitations, or because it just looks unappealing?

my standards for art are typically just "if it ends up looking good then who gives a stuff," but i know a lot of people are pretty purist about pixel art being true to old hardware limitations. there's nothing wrong with that cus it can certainly get the job done and make some really charming art like you pointed out, but it's definitely not the only way or the "right" way to do it

i also don't really think there's anything wrong with people using pixel art in their games. it's definitely easier for most people (doesn't mean it's easy to make it look good since art is art), and i see that as more of a pro than a con. there are a lot of programmers that want to make games but suck at art. they can't make 3D models or high quality drawings, and likely also can't animate, and they shouldn't be stopped from making games just because they can only manage pixel art. i can get if people feel like it's gimmicky or stale at this point, tho i feel like it's worth it if it lets more people start making games. the reason we're seeing such an indie revolution is because it's becoming so easy to make games. you don't have to be good at everything to make a game any more, there are tools and resources to fill in the gaps that are outside your skill set and that's loving Amazing

i'm pretty sure there was but it's not as "mega" so it died off
I remember a Voxel Section Editor which is what Red Alert 2 used but a megathread for this would be quite nice.

this gon b gud
What did you use to make this? WiiU in filename but what else?

leet, its voxelmaker for wii u
4 dollars I think
PS - I added more to the creation but theres a small.. problem. I can't render it because of some weird forgeted up glitch that's causing it to break when I attempt to. (??? don't know how to describe it sorry)

ha
i asked if they could fix it last night and the devs did
gud
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:02:08 AM by }]Crazy[{ »

needs more highlights from ambient lightsources

GLORIOUS SUN & MOON STARTERS

woah i likey that outliney

can you put a lake or pond or something i think that would be pretty cool