Author Topic: Blockland Writes a Choose your Own Adventure Novel  (Read 997 times)

Ever wanted to be a published author? Well now you can!

Twine is a tool for writing hyperlink based adventure stories. It's really easy to use and runs on Windows and Mac.

How to Participate
The story will be passed from person to person to edit. If you would like a chance to add something to the story, post here and let me know and I'll add you to the end of list. It will be on a first come, first served basis, and once we reach the end of the list we'll cycle back to the first person.

When you receive the story, you'll have a day to make changes and upload it to the next person. If you don't your copy within 24 hours, your turn is skipped and the next person gets to go. No exceptions. I'll keep the player list updated here so people know who is playing, but other than that, this should basically run itself.

You may go as soon as the person before you uploads the story. If they upload it 2 hours after getting it, you can take your turn immediately or wait for their turn to end first.

The story will be written in Twine. If you want to read the documentation, here it is. I had no trouble using it without reading it though, it's pretty straightforward once you figure it out.

Turn Order

1. Wedge
2. Ninja guy < it's this guy's turn
3. SirLancelot7
4. Fireboy
5. masterockets
6. LOL:D
7. Cybertails1998

Rules
I only have a couple of rules:
  • Anything goes. The story doesn't need to make sense logically, although the story should remain continuous. You're welcome to walk down the street on one page and fly through space on the next as long as you provide some means for it to happen. You can breathe water, walk up walls, fly through the air, or spontaneously turn into a rubber tree. It's up to you.
  • Write in the second person.
  • Check your spelling.
  • Don't write over other peoples' work if you can help it. Ask them first if you want to add something to it.
  • Follow the forum rules. Here they are, reproduced for your convenience:

1. Do not post ambiguous topics. 
2. Do not post adult content.
3. No warez.
4. Use the Search feature before posting a question.
5. Do not plea for sympathy.
6. Think before you post.
7. Do not flame.
8. Do not cross post.
9. Do not advertise other forums.
10. No pyramid/referral schemes.
11. No chain-letter style spam.

Current Story Arcs
A list of the different "story arcs," basically mostly self-contained stories within the story. More will sprout up as people make their own additions, and this list will quickly grow out of date.

An Adventurer is You
An evil dragon is terrorizing the elves of Canada and it's up to you to put a stop to it. (starts at "go on an adventure")

Kroger Quest
You're a wizard just trying finish their grocery shopping when suddenly everything gets turned upside down. (starts at "go inside")

Theatrical Genius
You're a talented stage performer going on zany adventures with everyone's favorite British playwright. (starts at "theatrical genius")

Exit, Stage Right
You walk out of a bar only to discover that your life is some kind of Middle Age Truman Show. (starts at "exit, stage right")

Download the Story

I try and put the most current version of the story here, but it may be updated too quickly. Check the thread for a most recent version.

Download link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11513588/story1.tws
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:33:36 PM by Wedge »

I want on the list, but I can't participate until Saturday so..  Just add me at the bottom once more people sign up

So will I.

Says the program is missing a .dll
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:31:09 PM by Deoxys And One Noob »

I'll participate too.

I would like to join this

Elves of Canada?
What will Americans think of next, road warmers?

I'll have the story uploaded and the turn order up when I get off work tonight.

Feel free to download the program and learn how it works so you're ready for when your turn tolls around.

Okay, I've posted the story in the main post. Here is the download link anyway.

Ninja guy is up.

i hope my turn won't be earlier than sunday, because then I'll have access to a netbook and not my actual computer

This thing loving died.
Don't let us down

If this does get revived, I will be gone Tuesday until Saturday so uh.. 

Don't give it to me then.