Author Topic: I need a certain program  (Read 724 times)

Is there such a program as something that runs in the background and shuts down a certain program every time it tries to open?

Got some virus popups or soemthing?

Is there such a program as something that runs in the background and shuts down a certain program every time it tries to open?

There is a virus that pretends to be microsoft security essentials and will stop you doing anything on your computer until you buy it.

I can get around those type of things easy.

Why not remove that program that is bothering you?

you can go to start menu>run>msconfig

go to startup and uncheck whatever program you want deaded.

That's like hiring a guy to pull the knife out whenever this guy in front of you stabs you instead of just having the police take the guy away.

That's like hiring a guy to pull the knife out whenever this guy in front of you stabs you instead of just having the police take the guy away.
Still works to an extent i gess...

you can go to start menu>run>msconfig

go to startup and uncheck whatever program you want deaded.
You should start by trying this. You would be surprised at how many stupid programs decide that they need to startup as soon as your computer does. I gaurentee you that if you go through this every couple of months and turn off the programs you don't really need to run at startup, your computer will probably boot to the desktop in half the time.

After you try msconfig you can also check the system task scheduler. It's in Accessories>System Tools. You won't find as many programs here as you will in msconfig, in fact, it's possible you won't find any, but it doesn't hurt to check.

It's not a virus, nor is it in the msconfig. Id just like a program that does this.

It's not a virus, nor is it in the msconfig. Id just like a program that does this.
Why are you not telling us what it is?

If you know the name of the program you can use the command taskkill /f /im <name>.exe to kill it. The easiest way to get it to work would be to schedule the batch file to run every 30 minutes using the scheduler.

You can also check to see if the program dumps a log in the application event log (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer) and set the taskkiller to fire when the event is created.

Ideally though you'd disable the program from running in the first place rather than launching another process to end it when it's created.

Why are you not telling us what it is?
Fine. It's parental controls. The only way to stop its oppression without alerting my parents is to close it, but it then reopens.

Fine. It's parental controls. The only way to stop its oppression without alerting my parents is to close it, but it then reopens.

Lol I knew from the get-go that was what it was and I hate to tell you but if those programs can't open properly they have fail safes that basically break your whole computer. Your only option is to do a computer reformat but then your parents will know it's off soon enough.