Like or Dislike

Dislike private Add-ons
3 (37.5%)
Like Private Add-ons
3 (37.5%)
I dont care
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Private Add-ons...Why?  (Read 1468 times)

I dont quite grasp the concept of why people keep private addons. If something is good, why keep it private? One of the only reasons i can see is if it has to have some work done and has bugs to be fixed. But why do people sometimes post pictures of their great private add-ons?

its like holding a cake infront of a fat kid and saying that s/he cant eat it.

"im so badass, i have weapon_gun2 and nobody else does!!"

Well, if you worked hard as hell for something.
And you knew if you gave it to people you would receive 100 times less glory
And people would host it crappily/wrong

Would you release it?

Exactly.

If something is good, why keep it private?
Because not everyone in this game is an honest and trustworthy person.
in other words, if an idiot gets hold of it, that's bad news.

nvm to late they got it
Thats disturbingly wrong

Edit: better. i prefer not to look at a fat woman eating a whole cake
-sinp MAGA FAT person eating cake here-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:04:08 PM by Tic-toc26 »

Thats disturbingly wrong

Edit: better. i prefer not to look at a fat woman eating a whole cake
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:00:56 PM by farsy34 »

Thats disturbingly wrong

Thats realy realy realy wrong. words can discribe it

also, server traffic. Take Gcat's weapon pack for example, his server got a stuffload of traffic when he started up with it.

Another reason they exists is because sometimes said addons could be too...powerful.
Mininuke, Ion cannon, just to name a few.
Also, the last reason I can think of is if you are Iban.

I acualy got the mini uke and ion cannon off google on other sites. not too private anymore.

I acualy got the mini uke and ion cannon off google on other sites. not too private anymore.
ikr

I've made several add-ons and not released them, usually because I'm not completely satisfied with the way they work.
Also large gamemodes should be kept private (IMO), so that the userbase can be kept on one (or a few) servers instead of being spread among dozens of servers.

Keep in mind that in many cases, these "private" add-ons are not even private (The mini-nuke and Ion cannon are two examples that come to mind). They were publicly released, but then failed because they were broken, released pre-v9 and never publicly ported to the post-v9 format, released on RTB2 and never downloaded from the archive and publically reuploaded before the archive was taken down, etc. In some cases, so-called "private" add-ons are still available in the add-ons section.
In these cases, it's because simple people like having something to gloat about.

I've made several add-ons and not released them, usually because I'm not completely satisfied with the way they work.
Also large gamemodes should be kept private (IMO), so that the userbase can be kept on one (or a few) servers instead of being spread among dozens of servers.

Keep in mind that in many cases, these "private" add-ons are not even private (The mini-nuke and Ion cannon are two examples that come to mind). They were publicly released, but then failed because they were broken, released pre-v9 and never publicly ported to the post-v9 format, released on RTB2 and never downloaded from the archive and publically reuploaded before the archive was taken down, etc. In some cases, so-called "private" add-ons are still available in the add-ons section.
In these cases, it's because simple people like having something to gloat about.
I agree with you on every single word

id like to also mention that "noobs will get it and use it wrong" isnt a valid reason to keep an addon private